Prof. Garcia | ENG 1121 - OL78 | Fall 2020

Micro-Activity # 7: Pick a Model & Organize Your Ideas

From reading Frederick Douglass’ speech and Mary Wollstonecraft’s letter I believe that the letter would be a better model for me. The letter is a better model because I can be very clear with my message while also addressing and arguing other people’s points. While Douglass’ speech was very moving and conveyed his message well, I believe Wollstonecraft’s letter would be a better fit when addressing a very specific audience such as mine. When writing a letter it is important to make sure it is clear who the recipient is and to include some of their key beliefs or opinions so that your message can be as thoroughly explained. It is also important to convey why this issue or topic is important to you and who this issue or topic affects the most. Then you start to show the audience or recipient why this topic is important and lastly, how things can be fixed. My audience are young people from ages 13-19 who partake in any community in which art is readily being made. Since this group is very young and are growing up heavily tied to many different fandoms or communities, they may not see me as knowledgeable because they might feel that they have a better understanding of the group they are part of. To them even though they might be younger than me, they might have a sense of seniority if they have been part of a community longer than I have. My speech will be about art theft in fandoms, why it is so prevalent, why it is wrong, and how as a community we can help to stop it. I will start off by detailing my connection to any fandoms and then explaining what exactly is art theft. From there I will write out the causes of it and why it is wrong. Furthermore I will include counterarguments that my audience would have and then argue those. I will conclude my speech on how this topic can be fixed.

1. Ruth Garcia

Great. You have a very clear outline and a clear sense of how your audience will view you so that you know you need to respond to that. At one point you say: “When writing a letter it is important to make sure it is clear who the recipient is and to include some of their key beliefs or opinions so that your message can be as thoroughly explained”–just remember to use the audiences beliefs to show why believing or doing as you are suggesting is in line with their beliefs.