Prof. Garcia | ENG 1121 - OL78 | Fall 2020

Discussion: Questions about Unit 1 Assignment Guidelines

Now that you have looked at the assignment guidelines for Unit 1: Investigating a Discourse Community, use commenting to list any questions you have about the assignment.

1. evan

Hi professor just a quick question is it alright if most of our info comes from our personal experience and not sources from the internet . I have many good examples of my problem but they come from experience not a resource or a link

• Ruth Garcia

Hi Evan–You can definitely rely heavily on your own personal experiences, but you should also include some sources. As the assignment says, this can be the perspective of other people in your discourse community–if you have easy access to interviewing someone. And then look for a couple of articles or videos or some kind of outside perspective. If there is a reason this is not possible because of the discourse community you are working with, then email me and we will brainstorm together.

2. Hakyung

Hi professor, when is the due? is it September 2nd?

• Ruth Garcia

Sorry. I forgot to put the due date on the assignment guidelines but it is now there. The Unit 1 assignment is due September 29th–you’ll see that on the course schedule. We will work on developing the assignment over the next few weeks.

3. Vanessa

Hello Professor Garcia, does it have to be my own personal DC or can it be any choice I want research? Is there a specific format you want it?

• Ruth Garcia

Vanessa –see the assignment guidelines for the format, but if it is not clear, come speak to me during office hours or if those don’t work, we can pick another time.

As for the DC, it is preferable that it is one you are in because then you can speak with a more authoritative tone and with personal experience in addition to research. This is what the pieces we are using as model do as well. But if for some reason, that is not possible for you, let us talk about it–we can do the in office hours, a meeting we set, or by email.

4. Shahnoza

can I write about an issue that my discourse community doesn’t think is an issue? I share common goals and interests, but there is things that I think is wrong and should be changed, does it count as me disagreeing with my discourse community? for instance, my community things arrange marriage is how life should be and they believe in it with their core, Can I write about how its actually bad? use personal experiences and mix with other people’s experiences?

• Ruth Garcia

Yes! This sounds really interesting and like it could turn out to be a great piece.

5. Amia

Our we choosing from the list we created of discourse community we participated in Mirco-Activity #2: Introductions to Discourse Communities ?

• Ruth Garcia

You can, this is why I assigned that post (to help you think). But you can also think beyond the list as we read different pieces or you see your classmates’ ideas which might give you something you want to write about more.

6. Jayme Campos

Hello Professor my question is similar to Vanessa’s does it have to be one of the 3 discourse community I mentioned on our previous activity? Or can it be a discourse community I’m really interested in?

• Ruth Garcia

As I say to Amia right above you–but am saying here in case the order of commenting isn’t clear–You can choose something that tis not on the list you have already brainstormed. As we read different pieces or you see your classmates’ ideas which might give you something you want to write about more.

7. Kathy

I read through the assignment guidelines for “Unit 1: Investigating a Discourse Community”. Everything seems clear to me, so I do not have any questions.

8. Jakob Suarez

Hey Proffesor i didnt see anyone ask this yet, but what do you consider is an acceptable form of reliable source for this assignment?

• Ruth Garcia

It could be an interview, a newspaper article, a documentary, a TedTalk. There are so many different ways to get information. I would just want you to consider whether you can trust the source of the information.

9. Beddour ahmed

Hi professor, can you show us a speech outline example, as I never wrote a speech before. Thank you.

• Ruth Garcia

The pieces we will read here will be our examples (Douglass, Wollstonecraft, Ocasio-Cortez). You can of course also look up other models on your own.