Learning Log 4

Daguerreotype of Amelia Farrington, Circa 1855, DAG 05: Photography collection; Brooklyn Historical Society

As we went to the Brooklyn Historical Society, I found out the daguerreotype becomes very delicate throughout the years and the images can disappear. We learned that the Daguerreotype is a positive process that is created with a metal plate that was developed over hot mercury until an image is appeared. The Daguerreotype I handled at BHS was a photograph of a woman that was taken in the mid 1970’s. The photograph looks like its fading away but the image was still clear, it also was an inverted colored image. It was very difficult to view the image from far away but to see it clearly I had to view it closely. Between Daguerreotype and Photography taken today, I believe are similar because it’s a long process to make the Daguerreotype and using the cameras today it doesn’t take that long but to get it just perfect it will take some time. Surprisingly, the photograph was very detailed just like the photographs that are taken today. The photograph I have taken this semester is similar to the Daguerreotype, Amelia Farrington. It is not exactly an inverted colored image but my photograph is positive space as shown and it is also very detailed.