Reading: John Medina’s Brain Rules, Vision

During the first ten minutes of class, write a summary of your reading from John Medina’s Brain Rules, Vision chapter. Before our next class, type up your summary and post it as a comment to this blog entry.

14 thoughts on “Reading: John Medina’s Brain Rules, Vision

1. ashleycperez

I am not sure if I liked or disliked this chapter. I liked the part that states we sometimes do not see with our eyes but with our brains. I believe that people see what they want to see , and what people see is not always the truth.

2. tatinyc

The way the chapter starts already told us the main idea. John Medina says: “We do not see with our eyes. We see with our brains”. He used wine-tasting professionals as an example. Than even their main sense is smell, and they were tricked by their vision and described another wine type based on wine color.
    Then Medina explains on anatomy level how our eyes are working and how we do process information we are receiving.
    I also read very useful information about blind zone and how we can focus on something more clearly and put some objects in blurrier zone, so I cannot take our attention.
    Also John Medina talks about such a disease as Charles Bonnet Syndrome, when person see things that is not there. Millions of people suffer from it. He brought up some examples, which are kind of scary to imagine happening to some people on a daily basis.

3. miguelsantos7

According to John Medina “Brain Rules” chapter 9 “Vision”, the brain has many ways of participation in our visual experience. According to Medina, “First, light enters our eyes where it is bent by the Cornea, the fluid-filled structure upon which your contacts normally sit. The light travels through the eye to the lens, where it is focused and allowed strike the retina, a group of neurons in the back of the eye.” Moreover, we have two eyes and the brain creates a single visual perception. Also, our visual environment analyzes what the brain think is out there, meaning that the visual process dominates the perception of our world. In addition, each eye has its own visual field and the more visual the inputs becomes the likely it is to be recognized and recalled which is called the Pictorial Superiority. However, when both eyes are working together it gives the brain enough information to create one stable picture. Equally important, vision has effect on learning. In other words, it creates two types of memory, the concept of familiarity called the recognition memory and the working memory which is the collection of temporary storage buffers. Besides that, each eye has a blind spot because there are no cells that can perceive sight in the gathering place of visual information. Therefore, I agree with Medina that “Vision is King from Day One”.

4. Shen

When I was reading the Chapter “Vision”, John Medina explains how our vision is important and explains how each of our eye has its own visual field. Then how our brain gather all the things we see and combine together into a piece of information the brain can understand. Basically it is a way we use to learn and receiving information. Another thing I found interesting was that how vision can affect the way how our brain wire when we are little. In other words, Vision is something we have to protect because I believe it is the weakest part of the human body.

5. Alexys.Harden

While reading John Medina’s Vision chapter of Brain Rules I found the opening scientific study extremely interesting. Not only does it show that people can pass for “experts” of something when they truly aren’t, but it proves that our eyes tend to play tricks on us. As humans we think with our eyes. If we see an object we formulate all other senses off of what we know to be true about that item. Although we have blind spots in our vision we tend to think that we can see it all. This chapter taught me that the eyes are real tricksters to the mind.

6. Kel Em

When reading the Vision chapter, Medina explains how each of our eyes sees and captures visuals, movements, etc. Then our brain processes all the information and takes it piece by piece trying to understand the information it can. Another interesting matter that Medina mentions is how our vision affects our brain as a little kid and can affect us when we’re older and how were wired. Our vision is very sensitive and we have to protect it because without our vision the world can be very dark…literally.

7. clinkscalesj

The fact that our vision is somewhat based on memory and what we’ve experienced is pretty insane, considering the fact that what we see can either be the same or very different. I believe that we do see with our brains because yet again memory and often if not all the time our brain tries to make you understand what an object is when you’re looking at it, to make sense to you personally. Nice chapter for Brain Rules!

8. Bishwash

This chapter is called vision; it is the 10th brain rule. According to Medina we see with our brain not with our eyes. Vision is by far our most dominant sense taking up half of our brain’s resource. Vision is the most dominant of all the senses, yet it is not 100 percent accurate. What we see is only what our brain tells us we see. Many people think our brain’s visual system works like a camera simply collecting and processing the raw visual data provided by our outside world. Vision begins with light passing through the cornea and the lens, which combine to produce a clear image of the visual world on a sheet of photoreceptors called the retina. As in a camera, the image on the retina is reversed: Objects above the center project to the lower part and vice versa. The information from the retina in the form of electrical signals is sent via the optic nerve to other parts of the brain, which ultimately process the image and allow us to see. I also liked the part from the presentation where the girl described her observation with babies, where she found out that babies can’t see until the 20th day from their birth. Vision is the most important tool for learning. Visual input of pictures is more likely to be remembered and recalled than visual input of texts. Our vision is the most important of our senses.

9. Justin2996

Justin Echevarria

The chapter “Vision” is the 10th rule of the brain. Medina stated that we actually visualize things with the brain and not the eyes. Well this is a bold statement because people who lost an eye can’t see through that eye but the brain is still intact. I think he needs to be more specific with his meaning because it can possibly confuse someone. Although it is true the brain is what we make of it, but our eyes is what allows us to see what is shown. The way people can see things is by light the light that reflects off of someone or something goes directly through our cornea and allows the brain the process what we think or is what we see. Its a difficult topic to talk about visual when I am not fully knowledgable, but I have taken a Psychology class that I did learn about how people can visual.

10. Lorena Batista

John Medina’s “Vision” chapter from Brain Rules is the best way to understand the basic components of vision and what happens to complete this task, because sometimes we can get to think it is a simple and effortless process; however, it is a very complex one. Medina also goes into detail on how the Vision trumps all other senses as a result of the big amount of resources it takes up in our brains. As Medina says, Vision is by far our most dominant sense, taking up half of our brain’s resources. I perceived this as something somewhat tricky because it may disturb the way the things really are. The author explains the vision process to his audience as a basic biology process; first, light enters our eyes, where it is bent by the cornea. Then the light travels through the eye to the lens, where it is focused and allowed to strike the retina. The collision generates electric signals, and the signals travel deep into the brain via the optic nerve. The brain then interprets the electrical information, and we become visually aware. As we saw in prior chapter, brain perceives the things in opposite sides; what we see through the right eye goes to the left-brain and vice versa. Some things in this chapter were new and surprising for me, such as getting to know that what we see is not 100 percent accurate because our brain is the one who tells us what to see. “Our brain insists on helping us create our perceived reality.” According to Medina, we are incredible at remembering pictures. Hear a piece of information, and three days later, you will remember 10% of it. Add a picture and you will remember 65%. We remember much more through pictures than written or spoken words. I totally agree with Medina because every time I am studying or trying to remember something I try to see pictures, videos or draw diagrams, is very convenient for most of the people.

11. O.Leitch-Edinboro

Vision is an essential part of everyday life, influencing how we as human beings learn, communicate, work, play, and interact with the world.

According to John Medina’s Brain Rule, Vision chapter, Medina declares, “The dominance of vision begins in the tiny world of infants.” I agree, because from the infant stages most babies are fortunate to experience their sense of vision. In addition, he believes that babies come with a variety of preloaded software devoted to visual processing. I also agree, because most babies are born with the ability to process what they see.

On the other hand, I do not agree with Median in regards to “Vision is king from day one”, because from my personal experiences dealing with babies.
    I have taken care of newborns and toddler for years. Also, I have observed them, especially the newborns. However, I was always curious about whether newborns can see as soon as they were born. Therefore, to satisfy my curiosity, I placed red ribbons or balloons in front of the newborns’ eyes, moving each one from side to side. After multiply tests, I discovered that most babies do not see until approximately fifteen to twenty-one days after they were born.

From my researched, I discovered that it begins with light passing through the cornea, which does about three-quarters of the focusing, and then the lens, which adjusts the focus.
    However, when you combine both the cornea and lens, it will produce a clear image of the visual world on a sheet of photoreceptors called the retina, which is part of the central nervous system but located at the back of the eye.

Clearly, vision is vital in our lives. Therefore, we should protect it in every way. At least I did!
    I have been using glasses for several years, and a few weeks ago, I lost the one I was using. Two days after, I visited the eye specialist, because my world became blurred. I was suffering and I could not have accomplished most of my school’s work. Finally, I received my new pair of glasses and it helps me to see things clearer.

12. Jennifer Garcia

In the chapter “Vision” John Medina states that we use our brains to see and not our eyes. It takes up more than half of our brains resources, making vision our most dominant sense. He goes on to explain how our eyes work and how the reflection of the light travels through our eyes and and makes its way to our lens. It then creates electric signals, where our brains then take control and interpret what we see. We tend to remember more when we see picture than by sound. These are some things I picked up through the reading.

13. Victor Ambuludi

Vision
    By John Medina
    Summary
    In this chapter, Medina focuses specifically in one of people’s more important sense which is the vision. This chapter was detailed about this particular sense. First, the vision is one of the more predominant senses because this is how we see the world, even though; the brain is the principal element that interprets how people perceive the world. In addition, Medina mentions that the vision is not completely accurate because what people observe can be just assumed by merely an opinion. Moreover, Medina explains the process of the vision which basically the cornea that is an antenna receives the photons of light, and then is bend by the cornea and strikes to some neurons in the back of the eyes and generates electric pulses that goes to the brain. In addition, there are blind spots that our vision cannot cover in a gathering place called optical vision because there is not cells that can perceive. This is what Medina denominates as hallucination because what people observe is not accurate at all. Another important aspect about the vision is that people remember experience through pictures which means this process has more efficiency when people try to recall a memory. For instance, when a person reads a book about a story all the information and the words are transform into images, and this is how most people remember.

14. Luis Dela Cruz

As I read John Medina’s Brain Rules, Vision the first sentence made me think “we do not see with our eyes. we see with our brain”. this sentence had me confuse for a while but then I actually understood what they meant when the wine tasting paragraph came across it was a smart idea to mix red odorless, tasteless wine with white wine and have a group of wine taster and only use their visual sense and I found it to be interesting. I also found fascinating that We are incredible at remembering pictures. Hear a piece of information, and three days later you’ll remember 10% of it. Add a picture and you’ll remember 65%. I find to believe this to be extremely true.