Exhibit Review

Going into the first exhibit Interior lives: Contemporary Photographs of Chinese New Yorkers, the first space was really dim lighted as well as the other room, it was also a very open space with the photos being along the walls of the exhibit in both rooms with the walls were kind of a dark color and a grey color. The category of these works were mainly the everyday lives of the people that were photographed, from their home lives whether it was cooking, laying and relaxing, working, to just watching tv and eating dinner, these photos were also taken from 2003 till now. In the second exhibit, Through a Different Lens: Stanley Kubrick Photographs, the room was more brighter than the first exhibit with the room being white. The space seem to be like a “U” shape to where yu enter and were led around nd out that way. The category also seems to be the everyday lives of people, for example a mother out shopping with her children, to people riding the train and even couples spending time together, these photos were taken around the 1940s as well.
I was really interested in the work from Annie Ling in the first exhibit in which she was exploring the lives of 35 residents of the fourth floor of 81 Bowery. She focused on the living conditions and home lives of the people there and her intentions as stated on the museum of New York city website “the invisible immigrant” ” who live cramped quarters and work for low wages”. I feel that she does succeed with this for example the photo, 81 Bowery showing the cubicles that people live in that look really small nd some having no ceiling. Even then you are living so close to others with little room nd many other things going on in the spaces of others. In kubrick’s exhibition his New York seems more fun, exciting and more humorous and entertaining for example the photos from the amusement park and the circus, I also found the photo of the dogs in the car kind of humorous and even relatable with the photo of the people on the subway because still to this day it seems the same.
I really liked the photo from the subway by Kubrick because I feel that its really relatable as stated. It looks to be kind of crowded as they still are today, and even though not many people read actual printed newspapers, there are some here and there but more so read it on there phones or play a game. Even seeing couples, people talking, or just falling asleep waiting for their stop. The angles of the photos are also kind of humorous because it seems as if he had to take the picture without the people knowing. I say this because the camera perspective and position seems like it’s down on his lap and hes pointing it up or down or having it straight forward.

This entry was posted in HW-Exhibit Review. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Exhibit Review

1. rmichals says:

Kubrick’s subway photos are fun. I wonder if you are right and he was hiding that he was taking pictures. Walker Evans took surrepitious photos in the subway in the 1940s. Maybe Kubrick did too.