Log 1: What makes a great photograph

What makes a photograph great is the communication it has with the viewers. When someone see the photograph it should tell a story through its composition, lighting, contrast, lining, the shapes or colors we want to lay down on the basic design of an image and most importantly its subject matter. For example a photo of a park that you use to play at when you where a kid. There is a story or a memory that comes with it like the families and their children that goes there . It doesn’t have to be something complex. It can be a picture of people smiling or when they are sad. It could tell a story about the greed in people or the smiling faces of people who finally found or made themselves a place to call home. The happy people who won the war and can finally go back to there family or families crying for there loses of love ones a war. The clothing they wear, the look on there faces, every single detail.

One Response to Log 1: What makes a great photograph

1. rmichals says:

If a photograph communicates with its audience it is clearly a good photo. You bring up an interesting point though. We as the audience bring something to the understanding of any photo. We will look at a photo of a place we have never been differently than a photo of a place where we have memories. Recently, I saw a photo of the Alice and Wonderland statue in Central Park and all I could think about was playing on it one time with my friends when I had cut school in 6th grade. The photo caused me to remember something I had not thought of in over 40 years. I am not sure however that this was a great or even a good photo.