Color can affect the way we feel subconsciously.
There’s a whole science (and art) in the meanings of colors. As a designer, it’s essential to be aware of these color meanings to help you choose your colors wisely and tap into the magical power of color symbolism.
Color meanings are caused by psychological effects, biological conditioning and cultural developments.
- Red is for energy, passion and danger
- Orange is for creativity, youth and enthusiasm
- Yellow is for happiness, hope and spontaneity
- Green is for nature, growth and harmony—but also wealth and stability
- Blue is for calm, trust and intelligence
- Purple is for luxury, mystery and spirituality
- Pink is for femininity, playfulness and romance
- Brown is for wholesomeness, warmth and honesty
- Black is for elegance, power and sophistication
- White is for minimalism and simplicity
Color meanings and the art of using color symbolism in 99designs.
Color meaning and psychology in GRAPH1X
The hidden meaning behind famous logo colors
The use of mood boards, by 99designs
A mood board is like a collage containing a variety of images, text, and other objects that define your visual ideas and communicate your concepts. It can even work as a guide in developing a project. A mood board will help bring things into focus, your vision and the emotions you want to convey. It will also help you translate concepts and design.
Pinterest is a good way to create mood boards with various topics, like colors, typography, art … it is a good source of inspiration for your projects.