A City Tech OpenLab Course Site

Proposal

Whitewashing is an issue that needs to cease, it affects many minorities who are already faced with a lot of burdens and hardships such as fitting in and being accepted for who they are. Whitewashing is not only replacing the race of certain characters but it can be providing incorrect information and sometimes even ignoring the existence of some people. Filmmakers and storytellers are the ones that should read about this first but also educational systems should definitely know of it. The educational system is a very important and it is responsible for teaching future community members, but I think that movies and stories make a bigger impact on a bigger audience. The genre that I decided to go with is an interactive article, an article in which readers can answer questions or take surveys. I chose this genre because it seemed most appropriate for the audience and it makes sure that they do not get overwhelmed by all of the information. I plan on first making an outline of what I want this article to look like and gathering the information needed, ensuring that I am prepared to easily execute the idea. One of my majors concerns is how would I be able to fit the polls into the article and if there is any needed software to be able to do that, because I want to make sure that readers would be able to actually interact with the questions. If I am not able to incorporate the polls or surveys into the article I would like to leave questions through out the article to make the reader think about what they read and how can they contribute to making a positive change in their communities and what they should avoid doing in their work to prevent further whitewashing.

1. Lisa Cole

Excellent idea, Mohamed. I really like it!