Quote 1:Ā 

ā€œItā€™s because over the twenty years weā€™ve been together Iā€™ve often used that same kind of English with him, and sometimes he even uses it with me. It has become our language of intimacy, a different sort of English that relates to family talk, the language I grew up with.ā€Ā Page 1

I chose this quote because I believe I can relate to this. I agree with the fact that I speak a different type of English with my family as opposed to with other people. I often notice myself speaking a different type of language and slang when I am with my family. Even people who are very close to me and my family, I often notice a language change as well as a different style of speaking.

Quote 2:

ā€œSome say they understand 80 to 90 percent. Some say they understand none of it, as if she was speaking pure Chinese.ā€Ā Page 1

From an outsider perspective, this is understandable because whilst some may not understand her mother there is a possibility some do. Additionally, personally I can relate to this. My parents both speak broken english which may be hard to understand to those not familiar with the slang or language.

Quote 3:

ā€œWhy are there few Asian Americans enrolled in creative writing programs? Why do so many Chinese students go into engineering!…And this makes me think that there are other Asian-American students whose English spoken in the home might also be described as ā€˜brokenā€™ or ā€˜limitedā€™.ā€Ā Page 3

I chose this quote because it was interesting to see that this is a possible reason for many Asian-American children being involved in engineering due to coming from a home with proper English not being spoken, making it difficult to prosper in that area. Personally, I had never made this connection so it was fascinating to see the reasoning behind it.

Quote 4:

ā€œApart from what any critic had to say about my writing, I knew I had succeeded where it counted when my mother finished reading my book and gave me her verdict: ā€˜So easy to read.ā€ Ā Ā Page 4

This quote stood out to me because it showed that she wrote whatever her heart desired regardless of what anyone else thought. Also, it shows that no one but her motherā€™s approval mattered to her when it came to her writing. Being able to write something that was available for her mother and that was pleasing is all she needed.