Reflection #7 (August 16)

We invite you to tell a story about how you are preparing to be a City Tech student. Research has shown that first-semester students often worry about their transition to college, yet eventually they become comfortable and find a community of people with whom they are close and feel they belong. Share your own story of preparing to be a college student. *

* This reflection is inspired by the “Our Stories” project.

1. Kye

I’m preparing to be a city tech student by becoming familiar with the campus. In my opinion being able to get around is very important to adjusting to the college lifestyle. Another way I’m trying to prepare is learning about the college clubs and activities. If there is a club i could see myself joining then it would be easier for me to adapt to the new lifestyle. Finally, I’m preparing to be a college student through the help of my sister. My sister graduated college and she’s helping me with things like supplies and answering questions i have.

2. Yusuf Shaikh

This reflection is inspired by the “Our Stories” project.

I don’t have much of a story to tell about me preparing to be a City Tech Student. I simply checked my emails and my CUNYFIRST. There was definitely a communicational barrier. I believe this workshop helped clear many things about the college. It was reassuring to learn more about the Campus before school started. I am not yet perfectly comfortable with the college, but as time goes I will adapt.

3. John Campoverde

I prepared to become a City Tech student by coming to the Open House and responding to the emails that were sent. I did everything as soon as I was told too which helped me keep up with my CUNY account. For instance, since I didn’t wait to do anything last minute, whenever I encountered a problem I was able to fix it within a short amount of time, with no problems or stress.

4. Faris

I’m preparing to be a college student by taking advantage of as many resources, especially first year programs, to be more comfortable with the school and its environment. Without utilizing the provided resources I’d honestly be very lost and intimidated when it came to starting college. However, now I can confidently walk through the doors of the school on the first day as if I’ve been to the school for years already. The CT101 Workshop in particular has been a very big help in starting college and City Tech specifically. It’s provided me with so much information and insight from current students which are all valuable information I wouldn’t have found anywhere else. So, for that I can’t be thankful enough. Starting college for the first time can be scary because you don’t fully know what to expect, it can be an intimidating environment, and you’ll have many unanswered questions and confusion when starting. However, if you’re able to fill in those gray areas then College can actually be something you can confidently look forward to.

• Christian Lozano

The professional development center and student success center are your best friends. Start thinking about your future in terms of internships, career paths, etc., now while school isn’t too overwhelming so that you can get ahead of everyone else early on and find great opportunities. If you use what you learned here at CT101 you will succeed.

5. AlanC

I’ve tried to prepare for college by attending events and workshops. My first time visting the school was for an open house; the various departments and teachers had set themselves up in the Academic Building. There; I asked questions regardig the majors avaliable, the materials we night cover in our classes, and what to expect. CT101 has offered a much deeper dive into the tools, expectations, and college culture of City Tech.

• Christian Lozano

I would recommend making use of the professional development center as much as possible. It’s only now that I’m realizing how useful that place can be and believe me there’s a lot of opporunities that you will be able to grasp if you use them to find internships, prepare resumes, make elevator pitches, etc.

6. Kayla Nesbitt

How I plan on preparing myself to be a city tech student is by attending orientation and learn everything that I need to know about becoming an upcoming student. Another thing is make sure that I have everything organized such as my schedule and any information that is given to me.

• Christian Lozano

Make sure to use all the resources that you learned about here because trust me, there are people who graduate without knowing about half the resources you guys now know about and no I am not exaggerating. Think about your future starting now.

7. Alexisp11

I am preparing to be a new city tech student by identifying where the classrooms are located, recognizing the different buildings and making new friends. I hope this helps me to start this first semester and progress

• Christian Lozano

Be sure to do things outside of classes to either meet people or further your career. I cannot stress enough how important this will become as your progress through college and you will thank yourself later for doing so. But looking around the campus is a great start and I hope you enjoy your time at the school.

8. Mohamed

I’m preparing to be a college student by taking advantage of as many resources, like first year programs, to be more comfortable with the school and its environment. Without utilizing the provided resources I’d honestly be very lost and intimidated when it came to starting college. Also CT 101 helped me a lot because I have no ideas about college I am the first person in my family to enter college in the U.S.

thank you to CT 101 for the help.

9. Mahrukh Qamar

I think for me the first step is almost done by taking this workshop which was really helpful. I do i guess have an idea what to expect on first day and later on I’ll just get familiar with college.