Subway Portraits

Whenever someone takes a photograph, they all have different reasons behind it. Walker Evans took photographs of people in the subway secretly with his hidden camera. I find it interesting how he had a secret button that he could just click away to take the photograph without anybody noticing. I feel like his approach to photography was to show the American life of people during the Depression Era. His photographs of people mostly focused on their facial expressions. In my opinion, I don’t believe their is much similarity between the riders expression during the Depression Era and the expressions of people today. Most people today on the subways are always either sleeping, playing games/listening to music on their phone, or even just talking to others. In his photographs the expressions of the people back then are so calm and relaxed.

Here is a picture of what I mean when I say most people today are usually entertained by their phones on the subway instead so the expressions are different compared to back then. (The picture is kind of bad since I was trying not to get caught) Don’t know how Evans did it… 

This entry was posted in #studentHW. Bookmark the permalink.