Mahbubur Mahy: Food and Coffee during the Civil War

After reading the two articles, I think ā€œCoffeeā€ was the most fascinating about a Civil War soldierā€™s diet. In the article, ā€œwhat Union soldiers ateā€ I found that their daily routine food and drink was coffee, meat and hardtack. They drink coffee because it helps them to keep them awake and to fight in the war. TheĀ Union soldiers were given 36 pounds of coffee a year by the government, and they made their daily brew everywhere and with everything like with water from canteens and puddles, brackish bays and Mississippi mud liquid which their horses would not drink. And the soldiers would drink it before marches, after marches, on patrol, and during the combat. In my daily life, I donā€™t like to drink coffee even when I am so sleepy in the morning. I just donā€™t like the taste of the coffee and also the other reason is that too much caffeine is not good for our health which can lead to effect our body. I love to drink masala tea instead of coffee. The food that I cannot live without is the Chicken Noodles cooked with tangra masala. I would love to eat any type of food which is made by chicken.

This entry was posted in #studentHW and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.