Kasssandra Social Media as Art

Art is such a broad term and can be used to describe many things but I personally feel that calling the use of social media as art a stretch. I don’t think selfies are art either. I think social media and selfies are just a manifestation of our narcissism in your hand ready to be viewed by the world. It allows for people to create a fiction of themselves for their followers. Social media is great tool that can be used on a regular basis to be exposed to new and amazing things but it is important not to lose yourself trying to keep up an image that isn’t real. Now this doesn’t mean I don’t have Instagram and post pictures of myself on a regular basis because duh I do. I regularly take photos of myself that are trying to be artful and very posed, but that doesn’t mean its art.  I’m imitating art by posing like a renaissance painting or a Balenciaga campaign. On the other hand, social media is a great way to expose your art to the world. I’ve seen many friends do it, where they would sketch or paint something on their minds and share it to their followers. Giving them a large platform to expose their work to or even get a curator interested in their work.

This entry was posted in #studentHW. Bookmark the permalink.