Nimesh HW 1: Photography, Selfies, and Cindy Sherman

As humans, we love to share things with others. Starting from the simplest little ideas to the greatest achievements in one’s lifetime, basically anything one can think of to share. I would say that photography has almost become a necessity to sharing anything in social media. And in photography, one of the main subjects one would consider is themselves. Selfies became a fun way for people to express and capture many things such as the beauty in emotions, feelings, nature, and even places. It lets people show others where they have been in the world. But some will take it as a form of art, as Cindy Sherman has demonstrated using her face as the “canvas for her art”. To be honest I haven’t seen pictures like Cindy Sherman’s, and I have to say that her art is very unique. I like how she takes a simple selfie and totally refines it. Her page and the article made me realize how people can spend hours trying to make a picture perfect with all the editing, basically to make the beauty come alive in the picture. But in Cindy’s pictures she makes the beauty come alive in a totally new and different way, and that is what makes her pictures so unique, it’s her form of creativity. It also shows how she’s different from the “social norm” of our time.

This entry was posted in #studentHW and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.