Prof. Mary Brown | COMD 1162 - E058 | Spring 2023

Discussion: Introductions

Add a comment to this post introducing yourself to the class. You could include your academic interests, why you chose your major, what you enjoy reading, listening to, watching, and doing in your spare time, or anything else you want to share (include your pronouns, if you wish).

Please add your introduction by Tuesday, January 31 by 11:30pm. It should be between [250-300 words].

Before next class, read the comments of the other students and get to know your classmates! 

For extra credit, reply to one of your classmates’ comments. Do you have something in common? Did you learn something? Be kind.

1. Haileson

Hello everyone my name is Haileson Dover and my major is Communication Design. Im in my second year as this would be my third complete semester. What I aspire to gain from this class is how to develop my own raster and vector images. I have some prior knowledge of vector images as I make logos as a hobby and play around with illustrator from time to time. I play video games a lot and I built a pc to handle gaming and processing video and images and I also have a Ps5.

2. Iruele Lacerna

Hello, my name is Iruele but please; call me Kai! My pronouns are He/Him, and I’m actually a CUNY BA student, which means I get to design which courses I take in my self-declared Area of Concentration (or AoC), which I will earn a Bachelor’s Degree in once I graduate from the program. My AoC is Art and Animation for Game Design, and I am the Art Lead for a student-led indie studio, so I’m in charge of managing my team, deciding the direction of our art style, and ensuring we’re on track. I’ve been drawing for nearly two years now, my hobby is world building, and I frequently marry the two together to produce clearer images to show to my audience. Aside from drawing and writing, I practice a bit of music and am looking to learn how to shuffle to EDM. Other than that, I watch a variety of things, from varied television shows (I particularly enjoy Hell’s Kitchen) to anime, or just browsing through YouTube for inspiration.

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to getting through the course with everyone for the semester to come!

3. Albert F

Hello guys. My name is Albert Frontela. My academic interests are designing and anything to do with drawing, I find myself always drawing when I am not paying attention. I am interested in COMD because it teaches me how to work with adobe, instead of being clueless and trying anything to see if it works. I enjoy reading books about adventure, and how to stay sharp, for example I have a book called staying bulletproof, it is a book basically about how to act in professional settings without getting taken advantage of by your bosses. I listen to a lot of Soul music, ethereal rap, some drill I guess. I enjoy watching anything that genuinely makes me laugh, my favorite actors are comedians. I enjoy drawing and swimming, I also enjoy playing my Ps5, hanging out with my friends too. Something else I would like to share is that I wanna go to Japan, but I don’t want to be on a plane for more than 7 hours.

4. Chakris Jatuprayoon

Hello, my name is Chakris Jatuprayoon or CJ for short. I’m a communication design major and I’m looking forward to learning more about raster and vector graphics. I listen to a lot of different genres of music including Krnb, progressive metal, pop, etc. When it comes to design I’m a bit of a perfectionist so I really try to set up my work with tons of accuracy so that means putting up guides using the ruler tool and making my workspace have my essentials when working. I play video games and stream from time to time, I record and edit my own videos just for fun and practice for editing softwares too.

• Chakris Jatuprayoon

My pronouns are he/him . I sometimes read poetry books and comics, I’m a big fan of comics whether it be marvel, dc, or other comic universes. I spend a lot of my free time hanging out with friends, photography is one of my more recent hobbies, and taking pictures of my friends is just one of my simple pleasures. My favorite movies of all time include Baby Driver, Scott Pilgrim vs The World, Last Night in Soho, and Everything, Everywhere, All At Once. My favorite shows are Regular Show, The Office, Run On, and Sex Education.

5. Gabriel Mbamaonyeukwu

Hi, my name is Gabriel, but people call me Gabe for short. My major is Communication Design and this is my 3rd semester in this major. The reason why I picked this major is because I like to draw and design a lot. On my spare time I love to go for walks, listen to music(afrobeats), relax, play the piano, go for runs, or DJ. Also on my spare time I really enjoy watching YouTube and TV shows such as; ICarly, SpongeBob, George Lopez, The Flash, Supergirl, All American, and You. Another fact about me is that when I was in high school I used to run track which I really enjoyed doing. My main events were the 200m, 300m, and the 400m.

6. Greg Wallace

Hello, my name is Greg (he/him). I chose this major to shore up my skills with graphic design while also learning about animation. Before coming to school, I learned Photoshop and Illustrator by reading online tutorials. Those skills helped me land a few design jobs, but I’d like to learn more in order to work on some passion projects. I have been writing a few stories in my free time and would like to turn them into animated projects or other media like video games or comics.

My spare time is usually filled with gaming, drawing, or cooking. I read a lot of fantasy stories which have inspired my own writing. Recently I started the Broken Earth trilogy by NK Jemison and finished Children of Blood & Bone and its sequel by Tomi Adeyemi. I also read a lot of manga (Japanese comics) like Spy X Family, Chainsaw Man, Berserk, and more. When it comes to games, I tend to also focus on fantasy stories like God of War, and the Final Fantasy series. I’m looking forward to the new Legend of Zelda as Breath of the Wild is one of my favorite games.

Last semester I drew people on the train every day and managed to fill sketchbook with just those drawings. I used a cheap ball point pen and frankly, I think I enjoyed that more than anything else I’ve drawn with. I got 2 sketch books for this semester that I hope to also fill, but I hope to focus on poses more for one, and portraits for the other. I also plan on drawing one of my stories as a comic starting soon and going into the summer.

• Iruele Lacerna

Hi Greg, I’m Kai.

We’re both artists looking to learn animation, we’re both authors looking to work on a comic or story later on down the line, and we’re both gamers? Seems we have a lot in common!

What games do you play? Personally, I spend a lot of my time playing indie titles like Library of Ruina or Hollow Knight, but I’ve recently been playing games like Valorant, Need For Speed: Unbound, and a new game called Surviving the Abyss. Do you play Final Fantasy XIV perchance? That’s a good selection of manga to read as well; might have to chat with you on some of them later!

I’m actually trying to draw a sketch a day for my new year’s resolution; I’m 25 Days strong and counting! I might hiccup and post a day late sometimes, but I try to catch up as fast as possible. Looking forward to working alongside you the semester!

• Greg Wallace

We do seem to have a lot in common. That’s one of the main reasons I am going back to school, to meet more of my people!

I am indeed a Final Fantasy 14 player (on Adamantoise), but I’ve been extremely casual lately. I actually spent the winter hopping between different MMOs with a friend haha. We’re going to try Guild Wars 2 next. Outside of that I’ve been dabbling in a lot of games but not really sticking with any of them. Elden Ring was the last one to hold my attention for a long time. Before that I was playing a lot of retro games for the first time, and am slowly amassing a collection of games and systems.

My manga library is a little ridiculous. I used to read a lot when I was younger and had no qualms with…certain ways of reading them, but now I’m in the VIZ and Dark Horse apps almost daily. Yes, I read digital because I don’t have the space for all the physical books I’d read. I’m almost finished with the published Berserk volumes (RIP Miura-sensei) and plan to get into some other stuff after.

7. Prof. Mary Brown

Hello everyone,

I am your Professor for this course. I have been teaching here a City Tech since 2000. The first course that I taught was “Digital Imaging,” which was a Photoshop class. I’m a graduate of the High School of Music and Art, and I received my degree in Advertising Design from the Fashion Institute of Technology, I also have a BA in English from Brooklyn College.

For 14 years I worked at Black Enterprise Magazine. I was an associate art director there and had the opportunity to work with many prominent people. Currently I run my own photography and graphic design business, but I also work a full-time job as a designer at a sign shop near my home. As a photographer, I do corporate events and portraits.

I enjoy true crime shows and podcasts–I know that’s an odd pastime. 🙂

8. Jamil

Hello class,

My name is Jamil and I use he/him pronouns. I’m originally from Oakland, CA but I’ve been living in NYC for several years now. I’ve kind of been in and out of school since I moved here and am now ready to get much more serious about my education and just finish this Bachelors degree already lol. My major is Communication Design. I’m mainly a visual artist (drawing, painting). It’s been my passion since I was a child and will always be, But I thought I’d switch up a bit and see what a career in graphic/communication design could have in store for me. I’ve always been like that; Ready to dive headfirst into new challenges and trying new things. I’m looking forward to the rest of my undergraduate study here at City Tech. I’m mostly doing what it is that I have a passion for so I’m sure it’ll be fun. I enjoy doing other things as well, though. I love Traveling, writing, tinkering with computers, reading books about political theory, debating politics. I enjoy having deep discussions about societal injustices and brainstorming ideas on how we could go about fixing them. I like to cook sometimes. But I like to eat more lol. I also love spending long hours at the library. It has such a calming effect on me for whatever reason. If I can find one that’s usually quiet that is. My brain goes a hundred miles an hour at times. Trying to process ideas and past trauma. So I like to engage in activities that help to alleviate that. I’m getting good vibes from Raster and Vector Graphics already. I’m sure it’ll be a great class an I’ll learn a lot.

Looking forward to meeting everybody!

Jamil P.

9. jasmin M

Hi, my name is Jasmin. This is my first year in city tech. My academic interest is communication design. I decided to go with this major because for me it ties in with photography. I personally hate reading and writing i find doing things off a computer or a phone better and fun at the same time.I’m a huge car fan so took the interest last summer to become an automotive photographer. So most of the time I go to meets and shows to take pictures. I’ve recently had one of the biggest car event planers called rix magazine repost my pictures that i had took at one of their shows, it was something major to me because i’ve only in the photography business for 7 months. Making this my major made me realize that i could take my pictures further and make then into something much better. I’m still in the process of becoming better at taking pictures and learning the things i’m currently learning in this major because i want to be able to make it one big thing. I hope i can take in a lot this semester and have it happen.

• Jamil

Hi Jasmin,

Ah man, How don’t you love reading and writing? Lol Those two things are absolutely essential. Also, I’m a big car fan too! What types of cars do you like most?

Being able to recognize the ways in which communication design and photography are interrelated and being able to apply them to something you love like cars is just genius. Glad to hear you found your niche and I wish you the best of luck with that. I’ve always wanted to get into photography but only just kept talking about it and not taking any action lol. But yea, I’m sure you’ll get the most out of this class. You’re very talented and know exactly what it is you want to do.

Jamil P.

10. Parth Patel

Hello, My name is Parth Patel. My major is Communication Design. In the Previous semester I chose computer science as my major but I felt like I wasn’t supposed to do that. I have chosen this major Because I liked working with designing and Adobe products. In my free time I like to watch YouTube videos which include some of channels like MKBHD, MrWhoIsTheBoss etc. I also like to consume podcasts which talk about technology, specifically ARVR Headsets, Smartphones, Desktops and Laptops. The video mostly includes the critiques of what the person thinks about the product or is the product worth buying? I do not talk to people as much until it’s really needed. I do not like reading. I prefer audiobooks or audio form of the text. I also consume lots of twitter which is my source of getting information about what’s going on in the tech industry. I also like to play video games. Some of the games I like to play are CS GO and Call Of Duty Mobile but I like to play them for some time. After 30 minutes I start to get bored with the games. One of the other things I hate after reading is Mathematics. I feel like mathematics is boring and hard to understand (YOU MIGHT HAVE DIFFERENT OPINION) To me it feels like a punishment. My preferred pronouns are he/him. 

11. Mark James Laurel

Hi!

My name is Mark James but, you can call me MJ instead. Just in case you were curious my pronouns are he/they. Born and raised in the Philippines and I moved to the States around 2018. I know two languages which makes me bilingual! I know how to Tagalog and of course English. I am from Queens which means the commute takes a really long time. It’s a hassle but you get used to it. I like listening to bedroom pop artists like as Beabadoobee but, I also like listening to Korean R&B such as Colde and my favorite song of his is called “WA-R-R” it’s really good. I also like playing mobile games such as Wild Rift and COD. I also enjoy watching movies but my favorite movie is the Scary Movie film parody series whenever I want a good laugh. I also like watching Anime. I am currently watching one thats called “Asobi Asobase” it is a pretty hilarious series. I also have an obsession with oranges (the fruit). I don’t know why I do but, I just do. I chose this major because I found it interesting and I really like it. Thats it, thank you!

12. Miguel Aquino

My name is Miguel Aquino, I’m from the Dominican Republic and moved to New York about 5 years ago. I’m interested in becoming a graphic designer and working on my own projects. Instead of getting a traditional job where I get in and out on a daily schedule, I would like to get a job where I handle the amount of work I do and have a choice to work on my own time. I chose my major because I felt like it could give me the opportunity to be semi-independent and it generally just fits my personality and life goals. I have always loved Art in almost every form of it. I feel like art is a great way of expressing yourself in ways that are understandable for most people and making Art is a great stress reliever for me. In my spare time I enjoy playing basketball, listening to music, watching TV shows, drawing and hanging out with my friends. My favorite TV show is a sitcom called The office. The office is my go to show whenever I’m not feeling great and it works just as well as comfort food when I need it. My favorite artist is J. Cole. he’s truly a poetic rapper who inspires me and my brother to be better and fight for what we want every day. My favorite basketball player is Stephen Curry. I consider him the greatest basketball player of all time and he also inspires me to do better in life.

13. sherlyn

My name is Sherlyn Sanchez. I am majoring in Communication Design. When designing you are free to get as creative as you’d like. You can express yourself through your work using your own style. During the pandemic, I had a lot of free time so I started learning Adobe programs like Photoshop, After Effects, and Premiere Pro. I wanted to learn more so I found interest in the Communication Design program. I don’t have much spare time anymore due to school and work. When I get the chance, I relax at home and play video games with my friends. I also go out for walks while listening to my Spotify playlist that consists of various Indie songs. This keeps me calm and at peace. With a lot on my plate, I make sure to give myself free time for my own well-being.

14. Diana Zhang

Hi, I’m Diana Zhang. I create drafts of illustrations as my pastime and I finish them, occasionally and post them irregularly. Drawing anime is the only thing I’m really good at though. I watched a few anime and read some manga but I haven’t caught up with the latest ones. I don’t read a lot of books either. I used to play Genshin Impact and F/GO. Currently, I’m getting a bit too into Hades. I hope to save up enough Microsoft points to get Persona 3 and 4. I have Minecraft and Stardew Valley on my laptop too.

My pronouns are She/Her. I get to City Tech by train. I like riding on the 7 train since there’s a lot of nice views from there. It takes me an hour and 30 minutes to get there so I’d at least like to spend it looking at something nice.

I only used Illustrator once (when I was helping my little sister with her graphic design project) but I did try using Inkscape for a bit. I’ve never used Photoshop but I tried using GIMP, got intimidated, and gave up. I’ve dabbled in a little bit of pixel art. I used Ibis Paint to draw but I like Tayasui Sketches more since I like how it looks and feels to use. I’ve had the privilege of using Procreate with an Apple Pencil a few times.

It seems that Illustrator and Photoshop is free to use now. I’d like to make some crispy drawings in the future.

• Greg Wallace

Hi Diana! I’ve got to say you’ve got some pretty good taste in games. Hades is one of my favorites in recent memory and I was just thinking about getting back into it to get some more endings. Persona 3 and 4 are also great and definitely worth the points to pick them up!

Since you draw in an anime style what shows/games inspired you to draw that way? I’d be interested in seeing some of your illustrations

• Diana Zhang

Honestly, I’m not really sure. It just feels like something that I have always just done. If I were to guess, it’s because a large selection of shows I watched in my childhood were anime or something similar. The Chinese Pokémon dub was kind of weird.

I… don’t know how to send an image in a comment. Does anyone know what a media URL is?

15. Sarah

Hey y’all! My name is Sarah, I’m a Communication Design major and this is my first semester at City Tech! A little background on where I’m from, I was born in Minnesota, moved to St. Croix in the US Virgin Islands, later moved to Texas with my family, and now I live in Brooklyn on my own. I was an exchange student in Tokyo and was originally supposed to go to school in South Korea for fashion design, but sadly COVID hit the same year I was going to leave. Instead of deferring my admission indefinitely, I decided to start working instead of pursuing a degree like I originally wanted to do. I worked in costumes/wardrobe on a few shows y’all might know like Westworld on HBO and Fosse/Verdon on FX (those are the coolest jobs I’ve had!) I’ve only lived in New York for about a year and half now, so I’m still pretty new and looking to meet people with similar interests!

A little about my hobbies and things! I really like sports, whether it’s playing or watching it’s so much fun. I was a competitive swimmer for 9 years and I also threw shot put and discus (I still hold my old school’s record for shot put!). I’ve also played volleyball and tennis. I’ve also played flute in both concert and marching band for the past 7 years! I was a competitor for SkillsUSA and FCCLA in character design, concept art, and fashion design. I was a state qualifier in every category!

I’ve been doing art for most of my life. I do most forms of art, besides acting, ranging from sewing and designing my senior year prom dress to selling character prints in artist alley at NYCC with my cousin last year. I also now use Inkscape and Sketchable for any digital art because they are WAY cheaper alternatives to Adobe. Inkscape is a very cool free program that imitates Illustrator! It still always you to create vector images and it set up very similar to Illustrator. I used the Adobe suite throughout high school because it was provided and paid for by the school. Ever since I’ve graduated, I’ve used my cheaper options!

Another notable thing about me is that I love languages. Right now I know English, Spanish, American Sign Language, intermediate Japanese, beginner Korean, and I’m currently learning Italian. I love to watch shows in the different languages to keep up with conversational learning! Anything from Korean dramas, Italian rom coms, cute feel-good animes, or just classic movies I love them all! Same thing with music, I listen to it all. I usually describe my music taste as “I like what I like.”

• Diana Zhang

I use Inkscape too! It’s pretty neat that its free! I also draw a lot. I’ve seen sketchable on the Microsoft store but realized that I can’t draw with a mouse so I stick to apps on phone. But I still wish that I could draw on a bigger screen (my laptop/computer). How do you do it?

• Sarah

I actually have a Dell Inspiron laptop that allows me to flip my screen and turn it into a tablet! It’s super cool and comes with a magnetized stylus as well. In high school (when I didn’t have my fancy laptop), I used the basic Wacom drawing tablet. The basic one plugs in using a USB port and allows you to use a stylus to draw on your screen. You can also customize the pressure sensors on the tablet! I’ll link the basic one for you 🙂

Link to the Wacom tablet: https://estore.wacom.com/en-US/wacom-intuos-s-black-us-ctl4100.html