Prof. Joe Brogdon | Fall 2023

Discussion: Introductions

Please add a comment (approx. 100 words) to this post introducing yourself to the class. Write two paragraphs that respond to the following prompts:

• Write a paragraph discussing your academic interests, why you chose your major, what you enjoy reading, listening to, watching, and doing in your spare time, or anything else you want to share (include your pronouns if you wish).
  • Write a paragraph about yourself as a reader and writer. What kinds of readings and writings are you drawn to? What type do you avoid and dislike? Why do you think you lean towards certain types of texts and away from others?
    • Come back to this post and see what your fellow students have written. Comment on at least one. For example, if a student discusses how they like graphic novels (and you’ve never ready any) ask the student titles they’d recommend to a new reader.

1. Gizelle Gooden

My major for this year is a bachelors in mathematics, I’ve always excelled in my math classes because I have strong memory skills. In my spare time I enjoy doing crafts and listening to some of my favorite bands. I also taught myself how to read and write in Japanese, I’ve been learning for over two years and know 2 out of the 3 different writing structures by heart. I’m personally not too big a reader at home but my favorite books series I own is the twilight saga.

2. Skyla

• My major is Marketing management and sales. I chose this as my major because I am interested in starting my own business. I enjoy listening to music, both pop and r&b, sometimes country. I like to watch movies and skincare videos in my spare time.
    • I like to read graphic novels or comics, I like to see visuals when reading and some kind of the action that you can’t see with just words on a page. I also like reading some romance novels as some can be very interesting that I will read even with no pictures on the page. I don’t really like older, more complicated writing that every sentence is symbolic and figurative with their words all at once throughout the whole text as that confuses me and I don’t like it at all. I lean to certain texts than others because of the way it is written and how confusing it gets once you start reading.
  3. Jose

My major currently is architecture, every since I was little I was always involved in some type of construction work, my father would show me the blue prints, the designs and his progress pictures. Seeing that made me interested in it and as time went on, I was able to work with him a few times and once I got to junior year high school, I decided that architecture was what j wanted to do. Sadly the career don’t pay much and it’s hard as hell to graduate from, so I’m definitely not ready for that.

Honestly, I don’t read and write enough to like something specific. I’ve read a few good books but nothing to serious, I prefer math or science over reading a writing to be honest. I like sports, games, food, sleep, and uhh traveling.

4. Jackie

My name is Jacqueline but I prefer Jackie and I’m majoring in Communication Design. I like graphic design and I want to learn more about what the different types of jobs are within that industry. I’m leaning more towards designing and advertising. In my spare time I listen to music, I’m into rock/heavy metal. I’m not much of a reader. I usually stay away from books.

If I had to pick a type of book I would say I’m more drawn to fictional books. Thrillers or mystery. I like books where the texts are sans serif, clean, and neat, making it easier to read especially if the book is small.

5. Gizelle Gooden

The type of reading I enjoy is books that also have an adaptation like a tv series. Sometimes I find it easier to read books that has characters I can see first prior to reading because it allows me to see the story in my head while I read. I mainly enjoy writing that can get me to change my mindset, like poems or books based on true stories.

6. Ibrahima

My name is Ibrahima Diallo. This is my first year in college and I’m majoring in computer systems. I chose my major because I want to get into the IT field, but I don’t want to deal with a lot of math, so my advisor recommended me this major. I like hanging out with my friends and playing soccer and basketball. I just try to make the most of some free time whenever I’m not busy.

The only books I read are comics I got from my older brother. I like writing about objective and fact based things like a research paper or an argumentative essay. What I kinda struggle with is writing things about myself because I overthink a lot. I think I lean towards these kind of texts and writings because I just enjoy them and like reading up on new stuff.

7. Jahzarrah Mcintosh

My name is Jahzarrah,18 years old.Born in NY and raised in Atlanta.My Birthday is in May (zodiac sign-Taurus).I’m a very antisocial person.

8. Samuelhernandez1

Write a paragraph about yourself as a reader and writer. What kinds of readings and writings are you drawn to? What type do you avoid and dislike? Why do you think you lean towards certain types of texts and away from others?

• hello my name is Samuel rojas Hernández am 18 years and am from Mexico something that I want to do is write a story of my life of how I experience in different country with good and bad decision we experience, why I want to write a paragraph about me ? Because I want to make the other people know about how I experience in New York, about if the life is easy or not, or about me if graduated is hard. So that’s my goal, to understand more my writing level and skills to write a paragraph.

9. Julissa V

My name is Julissa, my pronouns are she/her. In high school I was always interested in science and math and usually those subjects would come easy to me. I’m majoring in radiology technology and medical imaging. I chose this major because I always wanted to be in the healthcare profession and I also always took an interest in x-rays and how our bodies work. In my spare time I like to either hangout with friends or chill in my room. I listen to music usually my whole day even if it’s just background noise. I used to read a lot in middle school but those were usually either romcom or mystery type of books cause educational books normally made me fall asleep.

10. Zoe Newyear

My major is architecture because I love designing things and I’m very creative when it comes to customization.I like watching pranks on YouTube.I like listening to calming and hype music.I also like playing football

11. Will-I-am

Hi I am William li. Mostly I’m the kind of reader that doesn’t really like to read and much prefer listening to an audiobook rather than read to book normally so that I’m able to do thing while enjoying a good book. The genre I prefer is think that lean toward the more fantasy subjects because I think of books as an escape and something that don’t have to do with the real world and to enjoy a new experience.

12. Kevin Paguay

I became an electrical engineer, for two things I like all the things that I can repair again in my childhood I do not help my father, my uncle to repair or put electrical connections in the houses and the second thing is that the work of an electrician it is well paid. . I don’t read much but I like the Harry Potter books.

My reading and writing experience is low because I live in this country only 4 years, so my English is not good. When I read my pronunciation is bad and my handwriting is sometimes good and sometimes bad, but in these years I try to learn more English. for this reason my academic interest is to learn more about how to write and read correctly.

The books I like are science fiction and mystery if it’s interesting how the story unfolds.

13. Lusfreidy Hernandez

When it comes to reading I’m more interested in nonfiction or articles. I read any book that has to do with a story that happened in real life and articles that speak of someone that has been happening or any news going around. When I do any writings I like to write about any topic that I have been studying or any arguments.

14. Durantaitken

My name is Durant This is my first year of college the major i’m taking is computer engineering Tech. Things I like to do is play sports football and basketball i know how to play other sport but there not my favorite. I like traveling me and my family been to Mexico, puerto rico, Florida and Canada.

My writing and reading level Is 4 or 5 Im not that good at writing have a hard time doing reading or writing activities not something I like to do Im more into math Im quiet not good at expression my self while talking to others. Things i do on my free time work go to the gym maybe sleep or play basketball at the park or play the game.