Instruction Manual Analysis

The first instruction manual I read was a 3 page manual on installing a pendant light. I’m assuming the audience was intended for someone who’s installed furniture before due to the lack of visuals in each step. The purpose is to explain how to install a pendant light. The usability is lacking because the only image used is in the last page while all the steps are in the page before. This means that in order to make sure you’re using the correct parts, you will have to constantly flip through pages 2 and 3. The visual appeal is also lacking since there was only one visual used, and the language used was terms that only people familiar with installing furniture would be familiar with. I believe this would leave a beginner confused since the advanced terms could use more imagery. Overall, I feel that this instruction manual was poorly constructed, and rushed.

The second instruction manual I read was a Microsoft user manual on how to connect to a network printer. I believe the audience for this manual is beginners in setting up devices for windows 10. The purpose is to guide someone step by step on how to connect to a network printer. This user manual has good usability and visual appeal because every step shows a image of what your screen should look like, and highlights what to click on next and uses captions. The steps are easy to follow because they’re numbered, ordered chronologically, and provide images. The terms used aren’t advanced so a beginner should be able to understand the terms used. I feel that it accomplished what it set out to do because of its ease of use. I didn’t notice any problems while reading it.

1. Jacquelyn Blain

Good work. I think it’s pretty obvious how important visuals are in an instruction manual. It always bothers me that the designers of these manuals simply don’t do that!