Professor Joshua Belknap | Co Req ML | Spring 2022

How to Tame a Wild Tongue groups

You were intentionally grouped to discuss the language in How to Tame a Wild Tongue with one Spanish speaker, who takes on the role of expert, and two or three non-Spanish speakers, who are learners.  Please write a one-paragraph description of your experienced based on whether you were an interpreter/expert or a learner. Make sure to explain how you benefited from the experience, as an important percentage of the story is in variations of Spanish. Please reply by adding a comment to this post by February 16th.

1. Emely

Emely Almonte

02/14/2022

As an interpreter, I felt thrilled since I was translating some of the unknown words that my classmates didn’t know. In contrast, there were moments where I felt overwhelmed due to the fact that I wasn’t able to help with some words of my own native language and at some point I felt pressured. As a Spanish speaker, it was tricky for me to translate or get the right meaning of certain words due to the different kinds of Spanish provided in the article. However, as I’ve stated above, it was a great role to conduct and as long as we’re all learning I’ll be interested in helping non-spanish speakers.

2. Geovany Flores

As an interpreter, I felt out of place this was my first time being the leader of a group have never been the head of the group and it felt good because I was able to help my classmate to translate some of the words, they are not familiar with and of course I sometimes struggle not knowing the real meaning of some words in Spanish. I really enjoyed this class and hope in the future to do more project in groups.

3. Laziza Naimova

In a group, I was a learner. I learned some new words in Spanish. It was exciting to learn words in a different language. I personally enjoy learning new language because it makes me feel clever. I speak 4 languages which are Russian, Tajik, Uzbek and English. Also, I really wish to learn Arabic language. So, while learning new words in Spanish it helped me to better understand the meaning of the text because significant parts of the article is written in Spanish.

4. Aleksandra Patyra

My role in the group was to take notes and I was also a learner. It was very interesting to listen to different opinions and ideas about the text. I enjoyed working with the Spanish speaker, because significant parts of the text are in Spanish and I have had few questions about the translation. Some of the translations helped me better understand the text. I always prefer to work in groups. This way I get to know other people’s ideas and discuss the problems from other perspectives.

5. Tayef Rahaman

In a group, I think I was a learner because I was absent .Other students responded and I learned what happened in the class. I learned some student who speak Spanish was teaching other student there home language spanish. I hope It was exciting to learn words in a different language. I personally enjoy learning new languages because I like to travel the world. If you know the language it’s easy to talk. I speak 4 languages which are Bangla, Hindi, Urdu and English. Also, I really wish to learn Arabic and French. So, while learning new words in Spanish it helped me to better understand the meaning of the text because significant parts of the article is written in Spanish.

6. Carla Dormil

In my group , I was the one writing down all of our opinions, in the beginning when I first read the book it’s was mostly awkward for me to read and understand it

7. Carla Dormil

…
    So when we got together in small group , it was easier for me to get in bc the Spanish speaker break it down for us and it was easier to feel the text ,when he himself was using it to make us see how it was done in the text , the feeling of embarrassment disappeared because it sounded good and cause the listener to kiss the tongue.

8. Soufiana Togola

In my group, I was the note taker. Based on my notes I summarize the main idea of the text “HOW TO TAME A WILD TONGUE ” meaning the qualities or the way of speaking without being aggressive. The main idea is to embrace your own culture and being adapt to it to not let it fall on behalf of wherever you go because it makes you experience good things politely and makes you who you really are meaningly your personal identity.

9. Soufiana Togola

In my group I was the notetaker and on behalf of my notes I summarized the main idea of the text “How To Tame a Wild Tongue” by Gloria Enzaldua which spoke about the qualities and ways of speaking different language without being ignored or laughed at. The purpose of this writing is to embrace the love of your own culture to not being ashamed but being adapt to it because it makes you realize and experience such good things about yourself and makes you who exactly you are or where coming from .

10. Alina Thapa

In my group i was learner . I learn different opinion of people it was fruitfull . I learn some spanish language it was great experience to know some words one one more different language for me .

11. Sabina Akhi

I discussed the story with my group I learned a lot of new worlds from them in my group l am enjoy the group discussion because I understand all the questions in the group discussions all the questions help a lot.

12. Joseph Junior Jean Paul

It was a really strange event but helpful to me because there were so many words or little stories between the Spanish nations that I didn’t know. I was definitely excited about the experience and I can say that i had some really great conversations with all of the people who were in my group. It was an appreciative event and the atmosphere was great!!