Homework#2

When I first viewed Carrie Mae Weems’ From Here I saw What Happened and I Cried, 1995-1996, I was not sure what to make of it. I had to listen to Weems’ statement about the series to have a better understanding of the series. I learned how she used appropriation to distant the viewers from the original photographs. She did this by putting a red glass over the images and adding frames and texts on the photographs. When I viewed the series again with a different perspective, I do see it as a film like Weems mentioned in her statement. It is as though I am looking through a film slide and I see a story going on because the sentence never really ends at the first portrait. The way the artist inserted text gives the individuals in the photograph a story, which makes them more memorable. The artist’s use of text is also interesting because it is as if we are reading what white supremest would say.  Through text, it also gives the subjects character and makes them more humanized. Weems’ photographic project is interesting because they are historical images with a twist. It makes me think of what the individuals went through and what exactly they were thinking through Weems’ appropriation tool.