Homework #2

Prior to watching the video, I looked at the photographs from her series “From Here I Saw What Happened and I Cried” in order on Carrie Mae Weems’ website. My first impression was a mixture of feeling angered and disturbed by the images. But I also felt that the series of photographs were meant to stir up those kinds of feelings. Carrie Mae Weems’ intention seems to build on exposing the mistreatment and history of dehumanization and discrimination over time. These people in the photographs were used as objects for study. These photos tell a story, one that is not intended to be pleasant, but rather complex and powerful. It narrates the development of history and functions as a film through time. Both the words and the photographs intertwined and created an emotional impact. After watching the short video, I can see how the color contrasts the original photograph. With the technique of using monochrome red, these photographs are enhanced and speak loud to the audience. She describes these photos as “singular moments” that actually represent a much larger meaning and complex idea. These people were just used as sample pieces and stripped of their dignity. Looking at the photos alone already gives meaning to how these people were mistreated. The text gives the photographs a timeline and history, without the text the photographs gives the audience more room to have their own interpretation and imagination about what these photos mean. I felt that Weems’ project uses the photographs and text to tell us a very important history that developed over the course of several decades.