Homework #3: Robert Capa’s Death of a Loyalist Soldier

Robert Capa’s image “Death of a Loyalist Soldier” is a controversial photograph because it seems to have been staged. According to Richard Whelan’s article about Capa’s photograph, there are many factors that support the idea that the photograph may have been staged. After looking at the image closely, I can see that the gun was being held in an awkward position and not pointed at the person who was shooting at him. Another thing I noticed is that in the photograph there was no blood or wounds on the soldier as he is falling to the ground. Also I noticed how the soldier’s face is so calm rather than panicking or being in pain from an actual gunshot. I believe there was enough supporting evidence in Whelan’s article that proved the photo was staged. This photo was similar to “Home of a Rebel Sharpshooter” because just like this photograph, there was a gun that was placed next to the soldier’s body in a casual position which led many to believe it was staged. I think authenticity matters because a photograph about war should depict reality and give the viewer a visual idea of what is actually going on in the war zone and not something that is altered or staged. In conclusion, Cara’s image “Death of a Loyalist Soldier” still remains one of the most powerful images of war in the 1930s.

This entry was posted in #studentHW. Bookmark the permalink.