Dayana A.-Homework #1: Cellphones & Photography

Hello Class and Professor Cheng,

My name is Dayana & I’m in the Monday 11:30am History of Photography class. This is my second year at City Tech and my major is Hospitality Management. With all the knowledge I am gaining in this major, I hope to become a restaurant manager. I am the oldest of 3 daughters to a single mother and the first in my family to go to college.

When reading the Times article and watching the parody video, I was actually able to see how true both are. Nowadays, all that anyone can think of is sharing what they are doing, eating or who they are with, through photos. Technology has gotten so advanced and “high tech” which has contributed in the great increase of cellphone usage. One company which has influenced this the most has been Apple. They have become so great at what they do and have exceeded many customer expectations, that they seem to be the most powerful, wealthy, and universal phone maker. The iphone has changed so much for many consumers especially when taking photos like selfies, food photography, and photos of landscapes.

In my opinion, I am very grateful to have cellphones and technology in order to take photographs. Phone photography has become so popular nowadays that anyone can do it; all that is needed is a phone and something to take a photo of. I believe that easy access to cameras and having the opportunity to have a “portable camera” in their pockets makes people more creative and more prone to start taking photographs as a hobby.

Photo taken using an iphone 5C

Photo taken using an iphone 5C

I really enjoyed both the article & video.

This entry was posted in Student Posts and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Dayana A.-Homework #1: Cellphones & Photography

1. Yasmin Alsoora says:

Hello professor Cheng and classmates, My name is Yasmin and I am in Photography history Class on Mondays from 11:30-2:00. I’m currently in my second year studying nursing. I’m a mother of 3 lovely children. I’m hoping to achieve my goal and gain knowledge in this course as well.

After watching the parody video and reading the Times article, I realized that a majority of people use their cell phones for taking pictures. Nowadays people ultimately use their phones to keep friend and relatives in close contact with them and by doing that they keep them posted on what their doing or even the kind of food that they are eating. however, photos can be a way to show and reassure your loved ones that you are having a blast on your vacation. I feel like cell phone are more accessible than any other camera and whenever you see a moment that catches your eye you can just pull out your phone and take a quick picture without anyone even noticing. I really feel like a cell phone is a great tool for about evereything since I had my cell phone I never carried a portable camera ever again.

2. philipl12 says:

Hello Dayana,
    I agree with you. These little high powered cameras are one of the better things to have come from technology. It has become increasingly easy to take photos from a phone camera. I wouldn’t have dreamed of doing this in high school but in the last few years it’s become standard. The selfie has become part of pop culture and it’s very common to see one when on social media sites. I’m honestly excited to see the future of phone photographs, with multiple brands and increased competition making for more phones released with better cameras. Who knows where the future will take photography?