Professor Montgomery | OL44 | Spring 2021

Reflection on the importance of active reading

Please reflect in a few sentences on this discussion on active reading and note taking by commenting/replying to this post.

1. Derrick Seegars

Active reading allows you to stay more focused and engaged in the material that you are learning about. Taking notes, highlighting, drawing sketches, and being detailed in describing what you are reading will help with better retention rates as well as completely understanding the material so that you can apply and teach it to others. This can be used as a life skill in other areas of work that will benefit you in future classes, research, and work dynamics,

• Nasir McIntosh

I completely agree with you. I feel like being more engaged in a reading helps greatly with memorization. Whether it be taking notes, highlighting, or sketching. It’s mainly the repetition that allows that information to truly sink in.

• Luka Vardoshvili

I agree with you. It is extremely important take notes, highlighting and others to fully understand the material.

• Wilmer Pacumio

I agree with the fact that you can use this as a life skill and how you can teach others with this as well.

2. Vincent

Active reading will assist in solidifying my understanding of the topic. By drawing sketches and concept maps in notes it will help in getting a better understanding of the topic. Summarizing what you have read in your notes will allow you to retain the information about the topic.

• Derrick Seegars

Summarizing is a key point when active reading, ensuring that you are only taking the most important information from the text material.

3. Abigail

Actively reading without distraction along with note taking can help you naturally keep information in your help for a long period of time. You can take notes in many ways to understand your material like Cornell notes, sketches, etc to help you retain memory.

• Kiaralisis De La Rosa

I agree with you completely, I also feel like notes can help you retain all the information in a more general way. And like you said keeping your focus can help you have that information for a long period.

• Kiaralisis De La Rosa

4. Xhulio

Hey class. Reading is just as important as exercise. Just like working out helps your body in the long run so does reading not so much as helping your body, but your brain because that is the most important muscle. The brain is the most important muscle, because it controls your body. Using different reading strategies like SQ3R is going to help it is like a physical trainer tells you how to work out and strategizing your routine.

• Abigail

This is a great connection you made between working out and reading, note taking.

• Vincent

Nice comparison. You could include more examples of reading/note taking strategies.

• Derek N.

I like the comparison between reading and exercise as there are different forms to help build one muscle group to the best of your ability and most effectively for your body just as highlighting or underlining would work or not work for someone to effectively retain information.

• Brian Bacuilima

I agree with you. The brain indeed is the most powerful organ in the human body and increasing your knowledge with active reading means you’re making it even more powerful. Active reading trains you psychologically while doing exercises trains you physically.

5. Jacob Cadavid

I feel like it is very important to be an active reader and have effective note taking strategies because it really helps with understanding the text better, and therefore actually learning from it. Active reading creates a more concentrated learning environment.

• Star Aiken

I agree with you, that it does create a better understanding and learning environment. It does result from us learning more efficiently.

• Johnathon Abrego

I agree, an effective note taking strategy helps a lot

6. Jonathan Romero

It’s useful to get some new forms of taking notes. It also helps with understanding the reading much better than before. I knew a few of these before but never used them but after the discussion, I will definitely try these out

7. Brian Bacuilima

I think that active reading and note taking will help me understand every topic and subtopic in the textbook by making me analyze and write down information that I think is important. I agree that this is an excellent strategy to succeed in this course.

8. Wilmer Pacumio

This discussion on active reading was a good refresher on what we have to do when we are taking notes. All of the most important points in taking notes were explained. We also were provided with resources such as the READ open lab page. I will be using all the templates provided when I am taking notes. I will also be using the strategies that were explained in my note taking. Using active reading will help me gain a better understanding of what I am reading and I can incorporate this into all my other classes as well.

9. Luka Vardoshvili

This discussion on active reading and note taking helped me to understand that i need to organize my notes and find the strategy to keep my focus while reeding the text. Organizing my notes will help me to understand the topic better and it will be easy to review it later on and finding a new reading strategy will save me time and it will help me to understand the topic deeply.

10. Nasir McIntosh

I find that these methods of note taking really improve my note organization. At times, I can also be guilty of dozing off, but these reminders have helped me maintain my focus greatly. Reading is only effective if one can actually understand and absorb what they’ve read.

11. Star Aiken

It is important that we actively read and take notes because it will let us keep track of what was on that page, so we won’t have to look back. Also it can help us gain a better understanding of what we read.

• xhulio

Hey would you have a strategy that you would like to use my favorite is SQ3R it helps with organizing for me.
      https://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/readinitiative/reading-strategies/

• Jacob Cadavid

I agree with that, I also believe it is important to be able to keep track of the text we read, it helps us keep our thought organized

• Jacob Cadavid

• Luka Vardoshvili

i agree with you, i believe it is crucial to take well organized notes, so you can keep track of what you have read.

12. Johnathon Abrego

Reading is very important to the subject but it’s not for everyone, just the simple highlight, note taking and skinning the pages is good for some.

• Azizjon

I agree with you because sometimes we can look through the reading and get an idea of what the reading is about

13. Derek N.

Interacting with your reading and note taking is important as it allows you for better engagement and helps build stronger memory towards the topic. There are several tools and strategies to help organize your notes based on what works best for you to completely understand the material.

• Michael Ramirez

Yes i agree with this. Writing down notes just because and not focusing it on it won’t help you at all if you don’t know what you’re reading or writing about.

14. Kiaralisis De La Rosa

I always thought Active reading was the main reason why students are able to learn and engage in the lesson fluently. This allows you to read and take notes while staying focused on the articles and books you are reading. Highlighting with different colors has helped me a lot due to using different colors for different meanings. Yellow will be the main ideas of what I’m learning and details that cant be left out and the other colors have their own purpose. Active learning is a tool that everyone should use. This skill can be used on a daily basis because we humans read articles, blogs, books, and everything else almost every day.

15. Azizjon

I think active reading and reading, in general, is important it enhances your efficiency and improves you as a reader and reading is relaxing and good for your brain.

16. J A Montgomery

Please reflect on the importance of concept mapping and how you can apply it to your weekly reading activity and note-taking.

17. J A Montgomery

• Star Aiken

Concept mapping is a way to organize your thoughts and categorize them. it is a visual way of learning and you will see an easier way to understand it looking at the map.

18. Jacob Cadavid

Concept mapping helps as a visual aid to connect topics together, and visualize the concepts in a way that makes the topics easier to map out, and be understood in terms of relation to the other topics. It is easier to understand what the big picture is and the smaller things that go into it.

19. Vincent

Concept mapping is important in that you can see how important terms are connected and how terms are related. I can apply this to my weekly reading activity and note taking by creating a concept map of important terms present in what I have read and map out what terms are connected.

20. Azizjon

I think concept mapping helps to organize your notes and your ideas.

21. Brian Bacuilima

I think concept mapping is going to be very useful when I take notes because not only does it involve minor drawing but it also allows me to organize all of my information that I feel is important to remember.

• Luka Vardoshvili

i agree with you, It is very important to have organized notes, so you can understand it better.

22. Luka Vardoshvili

Concept mapping is a very powerful strategy to remember the material that you are reading and connections that they have. It helps you to see a picture, where your reading material has important connections.
    I will use content mapping for all my future reading assignments and it will help me to deeply understand the material that i am reading and remember meaningful information.

23. Derrick Seegars

Concept mapping is a way representing images, concepts, and relationships by using diagrams. It can help conceptualize these relationships in a way that relates to the words. It can also be a roadmap into understanding how these relationships and concepts form and work together.

24. Jonathan Romero

concept mapping helps you understand what you learn by making your brain connect the dots of what you read

25. Xhulioarch

Hey class you can apply a concept map to your weekly reading activity and it is important for you being an active reader so you can organize what you have read. Therefore having a legitimate file to send as your weekly note takings to your professor.

26. Wilmer Pacumio

Concept mapping is an important way of taking notes. It is an alternative to writing paragraphs of notes and still gives you the same information. It is also cleaner to look at and easier to read. I can apply this to my weekly reading activity by showing how certain topics are related.

27. Nasir McIntosh

Implementing concept mapping into note taking is an efficient way of organizing a main topic and its sub topics. It helps in understanding how things intertwine with each other. It’s much easier to visually keep track of related ideas. Definitely saves me time trying to pinpoint a specific note in my sketchpad.

28. Derek N.

Concept mapping is a great tool to organize your notes while interacting with it at the same time. It can visually help you connect related topics and group them respectively.

• Nasir McIntosh

I agree, while I find a visual review is more effective.

29. Kiaralisis De La Rosa

Concept mapping is a very handy skill because it’s more direct with the connections of each word and also it helps visual learners to understand the concept faster. Mapping has always been one of the skills since I’ve been using it for my floor plans and decorative ideas. This skill helps connect words and the purpose of each connection. Also Good to go back to because it helps you remember faster.

30. Abigail

Concept mapping can help with visual learners, and can help people understand information on a different level because you are basically connecting information.

31. Abigail

32. Michael Ramirez

Concept mapping can help you connect all your ideas together as they are visual representations of them. This is a way to better organize ideas and subtopics into different groups, rather than having them all over the place.

33. Shaniqua Brown

Active reading is beneficial to build vocabulary, retain information, and critical thinking