Being an architect is something I have wanted to be since I was just a little kid and I will try my best to achieve my dreams. That is what I aspire for. What I learned in my first year already is that if you don’t have a passion for your projects or work you will never be a great architect you have to love what you do. You need to be prepared for those sleepless nights and make sure all your work is in its best shape and form. I feel like what we learn in the class about architecture helps us understand more but i also feel like architects need to be out there in the real world looking at architectural structures to learn much better. In what spaces do architects have to do to become more productive. The answer to this question can be really simple but also very difficult because every person is different and everyone has their own ease of working and doing things their way.

Brian Harte, Reflections on the Hospital Environment, The Hospitalist. 2014 January;2014

https://www.the-hospitalist.org/hospitalist/article/126374/reflections-hospital-environment

The genre of this specific source is an article. Throughout the article Dr.Harte writes about his experience as a doctor and how we shouldnt take advantage of how hospitals affect our daily lives. In the article Dr.harte talks about his own reflection about hospitals “Lives are transformed in hospitals—some by the miraculous skills and technology available, and some despite that technology.” He reflects on the fact that lives are saved either through the availability of technology or the great skills of doctors. It explains that hospitals are a place of saving lives even though some lives are lost. The workers try their best to make sure their patients and families have the best experience there and everyone gets the same treatment.

Reading through the magazine really changed my thinking of how hospitals are even though i dont have alot of experience being inside a hospital. It is very interesting to read about and hospitals impact people’s lives a lot. It mentions “We also walk patients and families through the end-of-life journey. To organize families and patients around such issues and help them find a path toward understanding and closure is a remarkable experience as well.”  I was always afraid of the doctors and didn’t really feel comfortable being around a hospital or doctors which is the reason I am not really familiar with it. But reading through the article i can reflect and feel connected and see what nurses and doctors go through everyday helping out families and patients through life or death situations. 

The tone of the magazine is to enlighten and uplift. I feel the intended audience is patients and everyone else because everyone in their life has experienced a hospital before, and also I feel that everyone can learn something new from reading this article. Dr.harte’s article about reflection on hospitals can be a credible source because he is a doctor himself and has gone through it. 

how the architecture of hospitals affects health outcomes

by Cheryl Heller, October 15, 2018.

https://hbr.org/2018/10/how-the-architecture-of-hospitals-affects-health-outcomes

The genre and theme is an article from a website. In the article Cheryl Heller talks about how hospitals are  “A key determinant of everything that matters when it comes to health interventions”. Meaning that you have to be sure about every little step you take during designing a plan for a hospital because people’s lives are in line. Shah , a assistant professor of obstetrics, gynecology, and reproductive biology at Harvard set out to examine whether health care facilities are designed to deliver, as he says, more health or just more health care. For example, “hospitals have traditionally measured their success in terms of bed occupancy.” meaning that if a bed can perfectly fit in a room then the room is also perfect. Current medical thinking holds that for a great many patients and conditions, getting up and around is essential for recovery. The traditional hospitals are delivering health care, but not necessarily health, which should be the ultimate objective.

Reading through the article it really got me thinking of how architects really think because I have just started studying architecture. I don’t really know anything about the topic. Shifting the language from verbal to visual uncovers the hidden words that form our thinking and behavior and unleashes new thinking. In the article this was stated “An architect’s instinct to measure size and traffic flow in labor units helped make the causes of the C-section epidemic visible.” i didn’t really get what it meant basically maybe it’s trying to tell that architects aren’t thinking how the people will walk around the hospital if there are no signs to show where to go. 

The tone of the article is to make you a more of a critical thinker and see things in perspective. I feel like the intended audiences are soon to be architects who are just getting into the major and learning the system and how it goes and I also feel like that it’s very mind blowing that simple signs can change a lot. Cherryl Heller’s article is a creditable source because she is the founding chair of the first MFA program in Design for Social Innovation at the School of Visual Arts in Manhattan and is president of the design lab CommonWise, and also seems to know what she is talking about.

While looking into it in search of reflection. I came across a video which can really make you think about landscape on why these “smart cities” are built. In the youtube video “Adam Greenfield on the Dangers of Smart Cities. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6z2S1Y1IgQ&feature=youtu.be .In his speech Adam Greenfield talks about the influences of “smart cities” to the community or to the public. He says that smart cities have nothing to do with the city but treating the urban environment as a marketing commodity. It shows that the place for reflection is meant more for the ones above “the higher ups in the government” where they can use all the technologies in the cities like cameras, satellite polls, etc.. to keep everyone else in check. In the video Adam Greenfield states “smart cities see democracy as a disruption, when they say minimize disruption they actually mean minimize democracy”, I see reflection in it because it’s a very clever way of controlling the masses in cities. This video got me thinking a lot about all these futuristic cities built during our time. It feels more like they are making it as a marking tool then for the people’s satisfaction. This led me to think about what kind of architect I want to be and what journeys will have to go through in order to succeed.

As i watched the video i realized that most people just trying to make quick money so they will do whatever it takes to do so. as shown in the video Adam Greenfield states the “smart cities” are a marketing commodity i mean of course they are thats the whole point in order to make bunch of money. i had always thought all this new technologies and make all these cool looking places were gonna be for the public but as Adam said its a marketing tool for the rich.

The tone of the video is very loud and eye catching where Adam starts talking about new technology taking over everything. i feel like the intended audiences are the ones watching from the seats where he presented in the theater and everyone who has watched the video. I don’t really if this is a creditable source most likely is because he and tons of people watching and listening to what he was saying which must him a little creditable or think that he knows what he is talking about.

By Amy Eagle (November 4, 2015), Designing hospital public spaces. Health care interiors that meet consumer expectations.

https://www.hfmmagazine.com/articles/1808-designing-hospital-public-spaces.

The genre of this source was a magazine from a website. Throughout the magazine the author talks about what designers do to reach consumer expectations. As stated in the magazine “The design of that space really does play out significantly” in consumer satisfaction, says Randy Fiser, CEO, American Society of Interior Designers (ASID), Washington, D.C.  The main point of the whole magazine is considering the consumers taste into designing urban spaces like a hospital for example. Furthermore furniture design and space planners are coming together to create public spaces to meet everyone’s needs from individuals who want privacy and quiet to families who want to sit together in larger groups. Steve Cohen says “public spaces articulate the core values of a healthcare organization and should indicate that people are welcome and will be made comfortable even if they are going to be at the facility a long time.” I totally agreed with this because I had seen people in third world countries where their hospitals aren’t like ours. They have to pay to get the best treatment possible. It’s just like staying at a hotel but the difference is your life is on the line.

Reading through the magazine i got really fascinated on how they tried to bring in as many consumers as they can by “Offering a variety of seating options, such as booths, individual bar-height seating and tables where groups can dine together, divides a large open space into smaller, quieter zones that can make people feel more at ease.”  I always thought and felt that urban spaces wouldn’t allow you to have a reflection but I was wrong as I experienced it first hand. Hospitals greatly affect how you reflect on yourself. By adding all these new things around and inside hospitals they bring in more and more consumers and they would have a positive reflection because of the environment around them.

The tone of the magazine was very casual and uplifting. I feel the intended audiences would be everyone because in one time of their life people always visit hospitals, I feel like people can really benefit a lot from reading the magazine. I believe the source is credible because it’s in a website where it’s widely used and popular format (.com).

Spaces for reflection shows a lot of how most architects how they work in quiet or loud places where they can easily concentrate on their work. I pretty much based on the person who’s working on those projects for example a person who works well in a quiet place has to find a room where all sound is blocked out where he can do all his work on the other hand if someone likes it loud and energetic they can get inspiration from that i feel like i’m that type of  person like both mixed. It’s really surprising how architects work in an office where it is really quiet but also loud. You get inspiration from your peers at work and when it’s needed everyones quiet. What I’ve learned through the reading i had done spaces for reflection from hospitals as a architect is you have to take into account customers and people who will use that place in a daily place to make sure everything you designed and built is in perfect shape and won’t fall down but in the end is always based on the architect because as a architect i feel like we always put our little touch on structures we design for customers. But also I feel like People who need to read this are the people who don’t know what they are doing or have nothing to just sit down and think about what interests you and what bursts your bubble, what career you want to pursue in the future.