Prof. Duddy ARCH1101.OLC5 | Prof. Rosen ENG1101.LC07

What Can We Mean By Reflection

The general term of Self – Reflection is when you take conscious action towards your own thoughts, values, attitudes, and purpose. In my definition, the word reflection, is when you stop and think about the decisions you made. Another way to look at it is, when you need to clarify your thoughts, in other words take time to think about the decision you’re about to make. For instance, when you’re about to make a decision that could potentially change your life, you tend to be hesitant and go over the pros and cons of that decision. Or you go and try to talk it over with someone to clarify on that decision. These are some of the reflection we use in our daily lives. In my case, I use reflection to make most of my daily choices. From what I experience that day I apply it for my tomorrow, for an example, you experienced a horrible route to get to your destination, the buses are crowded with people. The next day, you remember that experience so you take the earlier bus where there aren’t as many people riding it. That’s one of the few ways we use reflection in our lives.

Recently I was going over a picture album, I saw myself when I was in elementary school, middle school and now high school. I saw how I was in the past and how I’ve changed physically and mentally. I remember the decisions I’ve made that changed my life as I used to know it. One of the decisions that I had reflected on was my track and field hobby. I used to love running track even if it was only my high school years, tack as a big part of my life, it taught me how being healthy and athletically strong can have a strong impact on your life. All in all, reflection is way to go over decisions made over the course of your lives

1. Jody R. Rosen

Thanks, Andre, for sharing this idea of reflection as a taking stock of personal history. When would you seek out this kind of reflection? And what effect does it have to review your past decisions?