Prof. Duddy ARCH1101.OLC5 | Prof. Rosen ENG1101.LC07

ENG 1101 Project#1 Post

1)What is a moment, a person, or experience that led you to choose architecture as your major? or that has led you to any other choice you have made regarding your education?

During my Sophomore year of high school, I had originally chosen regular design art as my major, but the classes were full so instead they got me into Architecture. At first, I wasn’t too happy since at the time all I’ve been drawing were Cartoon characters and stuff. I thought that all architecture was about designing buildings like peoples homes. In my class, there were some of my friends who had a architecture background and told me to stay and tray it out. In my head, I was going to try it out and leave as soon as it was over but I started to enjoy what we did in class. All the projects were interesting to me from modeling a house with wooden sticks to perspective drawings. I enjoyed it so much that I stayed in the class for the next 2 years to now.

2)How did you know college in general or City Tech specifically was the right choice for you? was it always?

City Tech was not my first choice, I had picked colleges like CSI, Kingsborough, and etc. I knew that I wanted to stick with architecture as my major, so when I found out that CSI was a medical school, I crossed it off the list. CSI was in Staten Island and was convenient for me since it what only a couple of towns away from me and it was right next to the train station. For Kingsborough, I wanted to stay with my friend since we’ve in the same classes since middle school, but he had chose a different major than me. I thought that the college just wasn’t going to suit me so I didn’t stay. That’s when I came around to City Tech, it wasn’t too far away and was next to where my father was living. I did some research on it and once I found it had architecture, I thought that it this college was going to be it

3)Who is a role model for you as an architect? as a writer? as a student? as a person?

My role model as a person was my cousin, 3 years ago he had lost his mother and his father which was my father’s little brother said that he was going to come to America to start a new life. when I first met him, he was shy and cautious. I’ve lived with him for a month and we weren’t too close, I’ve felt as if his guard was always up, not speaking as much and being appreciative for everything that he’s gotten, one day he had left to live with his aunt and start school and that was the last time I saw him. Until recently, I bumped into him on the streets, he was barley recognizable, his personality changed to cheerful and happy, he has a job as a barber and was now working to live on his own. I admired that in that few years, he drastically changed and set goals for himself

1. Alvin Kalicharan

When you answered your first question, it kind of related to my situation with architecture in a way because I never planned on getting into it just like you however in my case, I didn’t like it off the jump, it took me a while to adapt to it and love it.

I could really see why your cousin is a role model for you, it seems like he is someone who completely turned his life around which could be a interesting thing to talk about such as referencing how he inspired you or how he motivates you.

My overall thoughts on your 3-5 questions and answers is that you have great ideas to talk about and even ideas that people can learn from. Such as when you stated in answer 3 how you admired how your cousin drastically changed and set goals for himself, you could talk about how his inspiration to you changed your life and how his inspiration could make you a better person.