This assignment is a continuation of OpenLab #3, on the MIU puzzle. Your assignment this time is a little different. Consider the following statement about the MIU puzzle:
Statement. Any goal word (any word with first letter M, followed by a combination of U’s and I’s) can be obtained from the starting word MI using the rules of the MIU puzzle.
Assignment (Due Friday 9/25 – Because of the nature of this project, please do not post your answer before Wednesday 9/23). Do you think the statement above is true or false? I would like you to think about it and see if you can convince yourself of the answer. Try out different things! If one idea doesn’t go anywhere, see if you can come up with a different approach. This is an assignment about metacognition as well as puzzle-solving – pay attention to your thoughts and ideas, even (especially) the ones that don’t work out!
In the assignment below, you will be writing about your experience working on the MIU puzzle above. Be sure to respond to EACH PART – detailed answers to part 2 and 3 below will gain the MOST credit.
- Write down what you think the answer is (is the statement TRUE or FALSE?).
- Describe in as much detail as you can the process of working on the assignment. What did you think in the beginning? What are the different things you tried in order to solve the problem? Describe each one, in the order that you tried them.
- Give a detailed list of the resources you used, and how you used each one (these could include anything – your brain, pen & paper, a computer (what applications did you use), the internet, other people, and so on).
- What activity or resource do you feel was most effective for you in working on the assignment (what helped you the most in understanding the assignment and figuring out an answer)?
- If you believe the statement is TRUE, post an example of a goal word that you encountered in your work that you think was most difficult to solve. If you believe the statement is FALSE, post an example of a goal word that you believe is impossible to obtain by starting with the axiomatic word MI and following the rules.
Extra Credit. Respond to one of your classmates’ submissions.