Category Archives: Uncategorized

Part 1

Part 2
I would like to talk about the Fibonacci video. I really enjoyed watching this. She explains how and why the sequence has the numbers they do. It is a series of numbers in which each number ( Fibonacci number ) is the sum of the two preceding numbers. The simplest is the series 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, etc.Using spirals were a great way to show the sequence and how it is incorporated in nature.
Part 3
The reason I enjoyed this so much was because my calc 2 professor while teaching this topic started to explain how nature revolved around the Fibonacci sequence. She then also said something that made me start thinking which was the reason you cant find four leaf clovers is because four is not one of the numbers in the Fibonacci sequence as you can see 1,1,2,3,5,8 the number four is missing.

Openlab # 8

A. “Math Improv: Fruit by the Foot”

This video is about how we can play tick with strip paper or fruit snack.

B. “Pi Is (still) Wrong.”

In this video, the author cooked pies to show Pi is not Pie and Pie is not Pi.

C. “Hexaflexagons”

This is also a video which talks about how to play with paper by folding it into different shapes.

I would like to focus on the video C. I did enjoy watching this because it is very interesting to see how math is being used in real life. I like this video because it reminds me how I used to play games with paper by folding it into different shapes. I felt excited about this video as I never thought different colors will make the “hexafexagon” so special. It will be fun and meaningful if we could teach little kids to play with this idea. Also, since it is about shapes, which makes it connected to math in some sense.

I think it will be a good idea if we could apply some of Ms. Vihart ‘s thoughts into teaching. This helps teachers make students engaged in some class activities. It also helps students learn the relevant materials better by doing something interesting to them. I agree it is Math as we know Math is everywhere. We could not limit Math at the work we do in class, for instance, written assignments. In Lockhart’s Lament, he talked about how Math is a form of artistic work along with its elegance. Similarly, in Vihart’s videos, she uses different tricks and games to show Math in a fun and easy way. As a result, besides classwork, it is encouraging that students should watch some videos like these to enrich mathematical minds. The same to teachers who should also learn how to deliver these ideas and knowledge to their students.

Week 8 Assignments

Written work, Due Tuesday, October 20th, in class:
Chapter 4* p.100: 1, 6, 15, 16
Chapter 5 p.110: 1, 4, 20**
Odd problems are worth 4 points, even problems worth 8 points.
*(NOTE: If you wish to turn these in on Thurs 10/15 to receive feedback before the exam, I will return them on Tuesday 10/20)
** (Chapter 5 Problem 20 is optional – solutions will receive extra credit)   
WeBWorK 
– none
OpenLab – none

Exam #2 will take place on Thursday, 10/22 (first half of class).