College Rape Date Preventions

Research Memo – Rape Culture in Colleges Prevention

The problem with Rape culture and sexual assault is that it has became a societal Social norm to blame the victim for the assault. According to Campus Safety 43% of the time the Victim is intoxicated, and the perpetrator tends to be intoxicated 69% percent of the time. The problem  during a sexual assault the victim will know the perpetrator, in this society the victim will always be doubted about the assault. “You were drunk, you sure you didn’t ask for it?” Or if the victim reports the Incident the Police would question the case because you were drunk and wouldn’t have clear facts to help the case. The problem with Rape culture and Sexual Assaults is that it’s a norm to question the victim and convince the victim to question what really happened that night. On campuses 20 – 25% of women college students are apart of a rape incident or sexual assaults. Thats bout ¼ women being sexually assaulted. We need to be encouraging victim  to speak up and help the victims after the incident, instead of just dismissing the case because the victim was drunk and the clothes they were wearing meant they were asking for it. On October 3, 2018 our President mocked and imitated Christine Blasey Ford Testimony during the Ford and Kavanaugh case. He mocked Ford and Stated ““I had one beer. Well, do you think it was — nope, it was one beer. “How did you get home? I don’t remember. How’d you get there? I don’t remember. Where is the place? I don’t remember. How many years ago was it? I don’t know.” Trump concludes his statement with she can remember that she only had one beer that night but nothing else.  There is a place and time for everything and during a political rally was not the place to mock Ford, as he was de-valuing all women in the US and setting the social expectation about sexual assaults.

With court cases evaluating cases on “Innocent until proven guilty”; it is difficult to make a case on sexual assault because it is normally based on a He said She said. So what we can do to help our community is to bring awareness to the problem and help victims understand the resources they have. Most college are trying to help by teaching the students the importance of consent but we can always do more. We need to create a community that looks after their peers. notice change in their lifestyle and just simply be there for these victims. Because again about ¼ women have been sexually assaulted or raped and I know for a fact I have more than 4 women in my class. Raped victims tend to feel alone but we need to create a community where there are not alone. Inform victims that they have hotlines to call, that when you go out to drink that you have friends or peers are looking after you and your drink. Society blames the victims but but where are the future and we need to make a change.