Reflection on Wine Making Process at The Red Hook Winery

Visiting the Red Hook Winery was definitely an extraordinary experience to all of us. Mark Snyder, the owner, took us though the winery thoroughly to explain the process of winemaking.

At the very first of the tour, he explained that there are two winemakers working in the winery, Abe Schoener and Bob Foley, and each makes different style of wine. I was surprised by this fact since I simply haven’t given deep thoughts about winemaking. If I really think about the ways to create a variety of wine, it makes sense.

picture082

The most memorable part of the wine making process was when they showed us the must in the cask which is going through the fermentation process. During the fermentation, grapes’ skin and seed were pushed up to surface so that winemaker gently punch over and down the skin and seed so that the juice can get in touch with the flavor of skins, also, to keep the grape refreshing. They manage this process four to six times a day.  They decide the timing depends on the condition of the must. What makes this scene memorable is not only the refreshing smell from the cask, but also they confirm that wine making is all about the “Feeling,” such as smelling and tasting.

We tasted the wine and juice from different barrel. This is entirely just my own personal opinion though, differentiating the flavor or smell of wine is pretty much challenging to me. However, the hardest things become easy by practice so I am hoping to be able to distinguish the smell gradually.

Maren Koya

This entry was posted in Wine Making Session Journal Entries. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Reflection on Wine Making Process at The Red Hook Winery

1. Yes, wine takes practice just like all other things you wish to get better at. With time and practice your palette will develop and you will be able to differentiate between different wines.

You expressed a lot in your post, it shows that the field trip made an impact on your understanding of vinification.