Internship | Journal Entry #2

In the Public Affairs and Partnership department, my role is as a Graphic Designer to design assets that can be used to promote the interest of the college towards partnership with other companies. I also design assets for the college to use locally either in socials or for printing.

My supervisor is Bradley Burford, head of the PAP department. He has been working on the PAP for a couple of years, and he’s incredibly experienced when it comes to communication and professional relations. I found this internship through the COMD Internship coordination site. I noticed that the department was in need of a graphic designer and I didn’t hesitate to apply.

For my application, I attached my portfolio that displayed all of my previous work, and a cover letter which Bradley always remark that it was important for him compared to other students who didn’t. My first interview was conducted through the phone where I introduced myself and my set of skills, and previous work experience. We had a long talk about how the department works and how important it is to handle information properly. After that, I got scheduled for an in-person interview to cover the details closely. I only had to wait two days and got the job offer. During the interview, I was very nervous. In my culture, people talk really fast, and when I was talking I noticed that I was letting some of that without control and it was kind of hard to understand what I was saying. However, I decided to take a breath and take my time to answer all the questions. Bradley asked me about my previous work experience, my work preference ( in-person or remote), and problem-solving skills if he leaves the office and gives me work to do, could I take charge of that or could I take the initiative and innovate and create things that we need in the department.

I was very happy when I landed the job and so far my experience has been pleasant and very educational in all areas such as economy, work ethic, communication, personal skills, and design.