Choosing Fonts & Images & Colors (Internship Class at ClickDaily)

I realize that choosing an appropriate font for the design is extremely hard. If designers have no idea what fonts are using, it is a hard job. It can take over a lot of time. Plenty of people search fonts on dafont.com, fontsquirrel.com, fontspace.com, and or fonts.google.com for their designs. Those sites are good because they provide hundreds or thousands of free fonts. In school, I didn’t deal a lot with fonts. I didn’t even search for fonts. I just used what I had on my computer. I was very lazy. Professors often told me to search for fonts and chose a better font for the project. I always told myself that I could do it. I searched fonts, and I picked the fonts. However, professor always told me to choose another one which meant I failed on choosing fonts. I had always didn’t know what fonts should I use for the project, and how to choose the right fonts. At my current internship, I have always search for fonts because I know that my computer doesn’t have much good fonts. I always use a lot of time on fonts. My supervisor just gives me a direction, and I start from there. That really makes it easier for me. I still have a lot to learn on choosing fonts.

Choosing image is the same difficult as choosing fonts. It needs time, and it needs a clear direction on what the project needs. If the image is wrong, the entire design can throw it away because the communication didn’t send it out. Images are another way of communication besides words. If there’s no words in the design, images are the only communication tool, so it needs to have the right image or the appropriate image to combine with the words in order to send out the message. In school, I had always didn’t care much on the image; I didn’t even have a clear direction. When I searched for images, I didn’t have any other options. I didn’t even care about the resolutions. However, in my current internship, I learn that I have to choose the right image to communicate with the specific target audiences. When I search for images, I have to look for the large image and high resolution no matter the picture itself or for the background image. Sometimes, although we pick the one that we think it is appropriate, we place it on the design, and we realize it’s not match with the topic or the purpose of that project. We have to reconsider the image. A clear direction helps to choose the right image.

Matching color is not as easy as we think because colors have to match the design and what the company wants. Picking a color can take a lot of time. Sometimes, clients want to have that color that we don’t even like it, and we have to use it. We have to find the way to make the design works with the color. Clients don’t know much about the design, so designers have to explain why we are using that color, and we have to choose colors on purpose. In school, I only knew that I had to choose colors to show or to reflect background color, so people could see it. I also knew that choosing colors that I liked to use for the projects was not enough because that was not the right color for the design. In my current internship, I have to use the colors that the clients like although I hate it so much. Even though I don’t like the colors, I have to make it work. We as the designers have to pick the colors on purpose to show or to communicate with the clients; we have to explain to them why we are choosing the specific color. I realize that I might be a color blind. At work, I often can’t tell the colors. Maybe, I’m not color bind, but knowing the colors and memorizing the colors are a difficult lecture.