5. For Friday 9/25

We worked on the various uses of listing today—including the use of anaphoric lists to generate new thoughts and the use of sub-lists (what you did when responding to other people’s Media Share #4).  What I want you

For your comment below, please:

1. Post your list of anaphoric sentences from today’s Zoom 5. (If you didn’t attend, please watch the recording and do the prompt highlighted in yellow on the link to the Zoom 5 agenda I emailed you earlier today; also, for those who missed, please post a creative summary of the meeting.)
  2. Post a quick note on how you might connect your list above (in #1) to something in your Essay 1—did it occur to you to expand on a thought that came out in your list? Do you think you can find a place to include anaphora in your Essay?  If so, where?
  3. Post a list of 5 social issues possibly relevant to Essay 2.
  4. I studied with a writer in college whose mantra was “Every good text is a list, but not every list is a good text.” Connect this to what Lauren Duca is saying in “The Viral Virus.”  What are some of the critiques she makes of texts that are only lists?  (Bonus points if you catch the word she uses to describe this genre of online text.)

11 thoughts on “5. For Friday 9/25”

1. 1. Friends are there for you when times get rough
    Friends can be considered as your family
    Friends are whom we can share our joy and pain with
    Friends are people we can trust
    Friends can make you happy
    2. This list can connect to my essay because my essay involves my experiences with my friends in high school, even though my friends were not good for me they made me feel happy and I considered them like family before I realized they weren’t good influences on me. I would see myself using this list in my essay because it can help the reader understand the feelings I had towards my friends and how important they were to me. I didn’t mention how close i was to my friends in my essay so this would be a way to show the readers.
    3. Racism
    Immigration
    Domestic Violence
    Police Brutality
    Abortion
    4. In “The Viral Virus” by Lauren Duca she mentions some critiques about texts that are only listed. She named a few of these texts, for example “10 Things Only Left-Handed People Will Understand”, ”31 Unmistakable Signs You’re an Introvert”, “7 Easy Hacks To Help You Deal With Anxiety,” and “You’re Just 5 Minutes Away From Being Anxiety Free.” These articles all include lists and she criticizes them by saying it can be trivializing because it provides users to spuriously lay claim to illnesses that only medical professionals are qualified to diagnose. She also states that these tend to romanticize mental health conditions, it applies an attractive sheen to potentially concerning behaviours.

2. Fun is shooting the shit with the boys on a voice call. Fun is getting more than 5 kills in consecutive BR matches. Fun is forgetting about your problems for an hour everyday by eliminating competing squads and players and getting a win. Fun is not staring into the ceiling, although it’s comforting. Fun is when you feel alive.

This anaphora expands to my Essay 1 draft by opening an avenue for me to write in an anaphora in the text somewhere, I just have to figure out how it would fit what I want to write. I might be able to squeeze it in the part where I write a “movie”… we’ll see what happens and just go from there

Social Issues:
    -racism
    -income gap
    -gun violence
    -economic disparity
    -racial injustice

I think the words or phrases she uses to describe this genre of online text are “a la carte advertisements for oneself”, “identity-bait articles”, “trivializing”, and “hypochondria”. Not so sure about the last one, but the rest seem like solid choices. I’m not so sure that I found critiques of texts that are only lists but then again maybe I just don’t get the question. Is there a simpler way to phrase the question so I can take another crack at it?

3. 1. A moment can be any part in time. Moments can be meaningful or short. Moments can have the biggest impact on you and cause a change. Moments can be sad, like a heartbroke, or happy like getting accepted into your dream school. Moments cannot be meaningless because if it is you won’t remember. Moments cannot be useless because you would never change. Moments need to be vivid, where you remember each detail because of the way it affected you from.
    2. In my essay I discuss the obstacles I faced in each part of my life that I have experienced, in middle school, Highschool and a little bit of college. I feel like my list that I have thought can sort of fit into my essay regrading to different important moments that I faced in my life time. I could fit in my anaphora in my introduction of my essay, and give example of some of the moments I encountered.
    3. Gun violence
    Racism
    domestic violence
    police brutality
    gang violence
    poverty
    bullying
    4. In the text “the viral virus”, the author believes that social media is a”self-expression, a set of
    arenas where anything we post inevitably doubles as a signal of our
    identity”. she provides lists of articles that are on social media that can potentially show our identity, such as “10 Things Only Left-Handed People Will Understand”, and “7 Easy Hacks To Help You Deal With Anxiety”. She believe that the articles are identity bait articles, or trivializing.

4. 1. Laughter is something that is truly magnificent. It draws friends together in ways that trigger healthy changes in the body. Laughter with your closest friends can save you stress and help you heal from any emotional trauma from the past. Laughter can ease anxiety, relieve stress, and improve your overall mood.
    2. This anaphora can fit perfectly in my essay because of how I mention that I used to joke around a lot with my friends. I can fit it in in where I say that I ended up in detention.
    3. Social issues:
    Racism
    gun violence
    Immigration stresses
    gender inequality
    domestic violence
    4. I believe that the articles and phrases she tends to use to describe the text are “hypochondria” and “7 Easy Hacks To Help You Deal With Anxiety”. The author Lauren Duca states that these phrases and articles try to “romanticize mental health conditions”. She believes that these articles are making themselves seem what they are not.

5. #1 A true friend will always have your back no matter what, a true friend has loyalty, a true friend sticks by your side at your lowest points, a true friend fills your life with joy and beauty, a true friend accepts who you are but also helps you to become the person you should be, a true friend stays with you even when you feel the whole world is against you, a true friend will never make you feel left out, a true friend should never be taken for granted because they are hard to find.

#2 I could connect my list to my essay because I am the true friend that stayed by my friends side while her life was going downhill. My list made me develop the idea that I could include another paragraph expanding more on how I was always there for my friend and I could include a scene that would perfectly fit in. I would include my list in my last body paragraph right before the conclusion because I believe all of the main points of my friends bad choices should come first since the essay is about her.

#3 Crime
    Disrespecting women
    Police brutality
    Suicide
    Racism

#4 In “The Viral Virus” by Lauren Duca, she discusses some critiques about texts that are only lists. She lists articles such as “7 Easy Hacks To Help You Deal With Anxiety” , “You’re Just 5 Minutes Away From Being Anxiety Free” and “26 Problems Only Anxious People Will Understand”. She believes that these listicles aren’t too informative but they “tend to romanticize mental health conditions” She also thinks that Buzzfeed posts these articles because it draws attention to people but even though they may raise awareness of the condition, it also causes confusion about it.

6. #1. College is the best of times, College is the worst of times, College is the age of wisdom, College is the age of foolishness, College is stressful, College is fun, College is where you make new friends, College is where you lost old friends, College is the spring of hope, College is the path to figure out your future.

#2. This list of anaphoras can fit in my essay draft 1 because of how I talk about education. The journey I experience till I go to college. It wasn’t easy but I was passionate to learn.

#3. Race discrimination
    Gender Equality
    Suiside
    Climate change
    Childhood abuse
    Police brutality

#4. In the text “The Viral Virus” by Lauren Duca, I think the author doesn’t find it helpful and realistic for some of the articles and phrases that she mansion. She uses “7 Easy Hacks To Help You Deal With Anxiety,” “You’re Just 5 Minutes Away From Being Anxiety Free” and “Will Anxious Parents Have Anxious Kids?” in her text to describe that these articles aren’t helpful as it seems to be. She states that Buzzfeed published “26 Problems Only Anxious People Will Understand”(which was followed less than a year later by “24 Problems Only Anxious People Will Understand”). She shows that they try to romanticize then being informative.

7. #1. Anxiety is natural response to stress. Anxiety is feeling of fear about what’s to come. Anxiety is something that everyone feels at some point in their life. Anxiety makes us feel nervous , scared and worried. Anxiety can interfere with the ability to focus and learn.
    #2. I think the list I have thought can be fit into my essay because my essay is also about how worried and nervous I was when I filled my college application and I think I can include a paragraph where I can explain about how anxious I was and how I overcame with that situation.
    #3. Social issues
    Police brutality
    Poverty
    Domestic violence
    Gender inequality
    Racism
    #4. In the text “the viral virus”, by Lauren Duca she mentions some critiques about texts that are just listed. She named some texts , for example “ 10 Things Only Left- Handed People Will Understand”, “ 7 Easy Hacks To Help You Deal With Anxiety” and “26 Problems Only Anxious People Will Understand”. She stated that it “tends to romanticize mental health conditions” and she also claimed that it can be trivializing.

8. 1) Work is going to school
    Work is waking up at 6 in the morning
    Work is teachers handing you papers to do
    Work is answering questions
    Work is not having free time
    Work is something I don’t enjoy doing
    Work is staying up late
    Work is procrastinating
    Work is hard work pays off

2) This relates to my essay in many ways, especially to the paragraph where I talk about my junior year because my essay is about me struggling throughout my high school year. Most of the time I would be lazy and leave my work for later. My procrastination led me to stress about my school work. I would always rush things. Even though I hated my junior year, at the end of the day I was proud of myself and was happy to be a senior. I remember the last day of junior year, I looked back at everything I went through and was happy it was over.

3) Racism
    Sexual Abuse
    Police Brutality
    Gender Equality
    Poverty
    Overpopulation
    Racial Discrimination

4) “Every good text is a list, but not every list is a good text” connects to “The Viral Virus” because Lauren Duca thinks not all lists provide the correct information. Every list is not a good text because they only try to get the reader’s attention and try to make them believe what the texts are saying. Some lists that she talks about are “10 Things Only Left-Handed People Will Understand”, “31 Unmistakable Signs You Are An Introvert”, “7 Easy Hacks To Help You Deal With Anxiety”. She states that they are optimized for identity signaling rather than for being informative. Lists might give you the wrong information to make you feel connected.

9. 1.Family are the people you see in the morning before you leave for school. Family is people you wait for before heading to sleep. Family is the people in the beginning of your life to help you grow. Family are the people see you in your last moments on Earth. Family are the people you learn from and give your trust for them to guide you. When you need help you go to your family. When you’re lost you look for your family. When you need support you go to your family. Family can be the friends that were always there for you. Family can be the relatives the were never there when you needed them. Family are the people you care about but can also be the people who don’t care about you.

2.The list above obviously relates to family and it’s from my relatives that I have learned a lot of important lessons especially about life and dealing with people with all different kinds of personalities. In my essay there are a lot of points and moments i can show where iI have learned things about life and the world. My family is one of the main factors of my life but some of my friends are so great and caring that at this point I can consider them my family as well. With them included the people that I consider to be my family have each taught me something to take into my future and can include my essay.

3.
    -Racism
    -Gender Inequality(Double standards)
    -Drug/Alcohol Abuse
    -Mental illness
    -Sexual assault
    -Domestic violence
    -flaws in the education system

10. 1.Family are the people you see in the morning before you leave for school. Family is people you wait for before heading to sleep. Family is the people in the beginning of your life to help you grow. Family are the people see you in your last moments on Earth. Family are the people you learn from and give your trust for them to guide you. When you need help you go to your family. When you’re lost you look for your family. When you need support you go to your family. Family can be the friends that were always there for you. Family can be the relatives the were never there when you needed them. Family are the people you care about but can also be the people who don’t care about you.

3.
    -Racism
    -Gender Inequality(Double standards)
    -Drug/Alcohol Abuse
    -Mental illness
    -Sexual assault
    -Domestic violence
    -flaws in the education system

11. 1. Friends are people we can trust
    Friends can make you happy
    A true friend sticks by your side at your lowest points
    A true friend fills your life with joy and beauty

2. This anaphora can fit consummately in my exposition due to how I notice that I used to joke around a ton with my companions. I can fit it in where I state that I wound up in detainment.

3. Racism
    Immigration
    Domestic Violence
    Police Brutality
    Abortion

4. In the content “the viral virus”, the creator accepts that web-based media is a”self-articulation, a lot of
    fields where anything we post unavoidably serves as a sign of our
    character”. She gives arrangements of articles that are via web-based media that can possibly show our personality, for example, “10 Things Only Left-Handed People Will Understand”, and “7 Easy Hacks To Help You Deal With Anxiety”. She accepts that the articles are personality trap articles, or downplaying.