For Tues 11/18
Reading this week is optional:
Bell Hooks, “Madonna: Plantation Mistress or Soul Sister?” (in “Readings” folder)
Instead, I want us to focus on reading and providing feedback on each other’s Essay 2s.
In your review of the other person’s Essay 2, I want you to look for and comment on the following:
- Has the writer clearly introduced the song title, artist name, and what inspired them to write about this song? If not, point out what additional points of introduction the writer should add.
- Has the writer made a clear link between a specific song and a specific social issue? If this is not yet clear, make some notes on what social issues you could see them connecting their song to.
- Has the person vividly described the sounds of the song they are writing about—its instrumentation, its rhythms, its repetitions, etc.? If not, where in the essay would you recommend they add details of this sort?
- Has the person made a clear connection between their song and a text found through the Research Resources? If not, suggest they do this!
- Has the person included a quotation and discussion from the text they’ve found through the Research Resources? If not, ask for a quotation! If so, what additional points might they add to their discussion of this quotation?