Alexandria Dorato. Monroe Street Zoom Mtg 1 Summary

After watching the zoom recording, I felt more comfortable with starting college. When I registered for classes, I was nervous about remote learning and how it would work out for me. I am glad that you went over everything, I have a clear understanding of how this course will be for me. I learned how to use open lab by simply following the steps that you provided. If I was able to attend the zoom meeting, I would have asked how to view my grades. After watching the video “Love is the Message, the Message to death” by Arthur Jafa, I understood your feelings towards the video. The message is just so powerful. A quote that stood out to me was “when in need, who will save you”. This quote makes me wonder and also feel upset for the people who feel that they are alone in this world. I also learned what is expected from you in terms of the media shares after reading your response to the video. I get a better understanding after seeing examples because it enables me to know that I am doing the task correctly. I developed a few questions after you discussed the reading “A Word’s Meaning Can Often Depend on Who Says It” by Gloria Naylor. I would have asked why the word could never be applied to a woman as she stated. Naylor gave her reasoning but it is still unclear to me. 

Question: For the essay draft, do you want more of a bulleted format or write it as if we were writing the final copy? Do you want us to just revise the draft? 

Also.. I am going to try to join the zoom meetings on my lunch break. I don’t think i can attend the entire meeting but i will be there whenever i get the chance to. 

2 thoughts on “Alexandria Dorato. Monroe Street Zoom Mtg 1 Summary”

1. Unfortunately I was unable to join the zoom meeting but after watching it I understand how this course will be. in this meeting , I clearly understand the syllabus and the work we have to do in this term. This is my freshman year and I didn’t use open lab in high school but after watching the video I learned how to use this.We have to do media share where we have to share link/ image or video that says something about who we are or where we are. There was an essay “A Word’s meaning can often depend on who says it”. It was interesting because she started essay saying that words don’t mean anything and later she was talking about particular word that has different meanings. She showed that words meaning can be changed over time or by some reasons. I found this interesting. The way you explain the text was amazing and I can’t wait to come in next session.

(I have no questions for now because some of questions I had and other students asked that. So I got answer)

2. Thank you for this fine summary, Alexandria. It’s a good question about Naylor’s text: why isn’t there a feminine equivalent to the n-word (used in the singular)?

As to your questions: please try to move beyond a bulleted outline and write the draft in paragraphed prose. You will be revising this, yes, but I want you to write out all of your thoughts and ideas and assemble them into prose for this draft. Sometimes bulleted lists aren’t enough to develop your thoughts.

Glad you can make at least some of the Zoom meetings!
    M