Prof. Williams | ENG 1121 - HD18 | Spring 2022

Unit 1: Discourse Communities (Draft)

ENGLISH ^N1 ESSAY.docx

1. Alberto Jorge

Alberto Jorge
    I gathered you all today to tell you what’s happening in today’s society. There is a big problem with human rights for example women rights. The reason why this is a big issue is because women aren’t getting treated the same as men is and I find that to be a big problem. I want to make this issue resolved but with your help we can stop this problem by spreading this message around our country to prevent this issue for continuing. The reason why I would want everyone to help spread this message is because I know by me saying something not a lot of people will listen which is why I need everyone to help because by people helping it would help change this issue. I would want women to have equal pay because I believe that women and men both work as hard and it isn’t far for a men to get paid more than women if they both have the same jobs and both work the same hours. Another issue is rights , I want everyone to have equal rights not everyone are being treated equally. Not a lot of women can get paid the same because of they way they are being treated and that’s why I stand here because I would want this to change in this country and I need everyone to help resolve this issue.in todays world I want to say please change the way people have rights because seeing that women and men get paid differently just because they are different genders is wrong because it’s not fair for a women and a men to have the same job just to be paid differently.

Men and women in the very same occupation performing equivalent work shall get equal pay, according to the Equal Protection clause 2010, unless a wage disparity can be explained. It is the law, and employers are required to abide with it. This means that the state must follow the law because both women and men has to be paid equally.around the early twentieth century, women represented quarter of a American workforce, yet they were generally paid substantially less than males, even when they did the same job. This means that this problem is still happening till this day and I feel like this problem will continue to happen again and again. We will have to eventually try to help fix this problem together because if not I won’t make progress but I hope to spread the message around the world and hope you can spread it further not just for women to help but also men because my goal is to stop the hatred in our society but to help people understand that this is a major impact in todays world and will continue to impact as long as we help each other through this tough time we are living in and it’s sad seeing that people aren’t having equal rights and not just pay but rights. I also want to spread the message with equal rights to homeless because they don’t have rights , just because they are homeless and don’t have any money doesn’t mean you have to treat the homeless like trash. I want to help them and find them a home to live in and a job because everyone deserves a second chance.

I want to help each and one of you all because I noticed the people who is listening to me have dealt with this problem. I want to ask each one of you how you feel and how are you dealing with this problem. So I listen to what they have to say and one women asked me that Women’s lifetime earnings are lower, family income is lower, and poverty rates are greater from across United States how do I feel about?..I answer that’s a good question I do see this issue and it’s very common because almost every women and and families are suffering from this problem. My idea and the reason why I’m up here is to help everyone in need and help everyone that’s suffering from equal pay issues I won’t be up here just to talk and give this speech. I’m up here today to give you guys an idea and spread the word and help protest and spread the message to help the families and women in need. Any other questions? One man asked me why should I care about this issue and why should he be worried if I get paid enough and good I responded by saying why should women be paid less if they work the same hours as you and work just as hard as you. Do you think women should be paid less or no? The men responded by saying no I don’t think women should be paid less and he said he understood what I was coming from and understand this issue needs to be resolved from each other. Any other questions before I leave? How long would this problem be resolved and when will it happen?. I hope that we could resolve this problem very soon but it’s just in a matter of time on when we could help each other . In other words how you guys could help stop and help equal pay for everyone. Help us get paid equally and let’s stand together.
    These are just the beginning, I need your help! Lets all stand up for what’s right and let’s continue fighting for our equal rights and our freedom. We will fight and stand for our rights and we will not stop on till we finished and solved with this I’m tired of everyone not being able to take care of their love ones because they aren’t getting paid enough. Every women deserve to be paid the same way a men gets paid. I want this to end if you don’t accept this speech then fine but if you stand and fight by my side and agree with my speech then let’s help everyone understand what’s happening in the world and we not only helping people but helping people for the future. Thank you all for listening to my speech and I hope we all come together and this situation will be solved. My name is Alberto Jorge and I hope you accept and prove this message.

Website-https://www.history.com/topics/womens-rights/equal-pay-act

2. Isaiah F

How many people feel safe using MTA ? What If I told you, it’s a possibility that you may get assaulted on your way home from work/school. Also What is the NYPD doing to stop this issue besides showing their faces once in a blue moon. Their plan for approaching this problem isn’t the solution. MTA is one of the largest transportation systems in the world with an outstanding 472 stations that covers Queens, Brooklyn, and the Bronx. I understand that MTA as a company have dealt with their fair-share of problems financially. However, the lack of disrespect on the topic of commuter’s safety needs to be addressed. Crime has shown its face multiple times on the news, but there were no actions taken to reduce these casualties. As a former student, I use the MTA on a daily-basis and I would feel safer if there weren’t people living on the train as their household. This topic is affecting people’s daily lives because people might take actions into their own hands. This isn’t a good thing because people might resort to carrying more weapons as self-defense which doesn’t help this matter. This problem needs to be prioritized now before it gets out of control. People should have to look over their shoulder consistently to make sure they’re safe. Crime can happen at any time at any place and this is why the mayor should do something now before another case is presented on the news.

MTA’s safety problem that has been on the rise since 2019. As a regular commuter in New York, I feel that my safety is jeopardized. People are getting raped, stabbed, and killed at night. The increase on police patrol isn’t enough and the number shows an increase in crime by 18% more from 2021. New York City has one of the highest crime rates in any other city when mentioning assaults in public transportation subways. The main reasons for this conundrum are caused by our failure to maintain our homelessness issues. It’s one thing to tell a story about not having enough money to pay your bills; it’s completely different when you’re living on the train. We are still in our most drastic biochemical crisis of the century and New York City fails to keep our homeless individuals off the trains and into their property treatment facilities. This is unjustful to regular commuters especially during these kinds of times that we find ourselves to be living in. This is unsanitary for commuters considering the market price of entrance is increasing. MTA isn’t doing enough on our safety, so as a result we see new assaults unfolding in front of us. According to NY times, it states “The weekend after Mayor Eric Adams and Gov. Kathy Hochul announced a plan to address safety concerns on New York City’s subways that focused on stopping homeless people from sheltering in the system, at least eight violent incidents took place in stations and on trains, only one of which involved an attacker who appeared to be homeless.” People are being hospitalized and the homeless communities are getting sicker; we need our government to realize the problem will only multiply unless we get ahead of this issue. With our marketing system finally seeing formality we can no longer justify this matter as an issue. Safety isn’t something people consider to be small; if this issue continues to be overlooked, we will be facing another city crisis with our subway system.

We’re a quarter of the way into 2022, and as a New York City commuter we expect better than this. This is an absolute embarrassment to our transportation system. “Aaron Donovan, a spokesman for the M.T.A., said in a statement that the attacks over the weekend should not be considered “normal.” It’s imperative that “if you see something, say something” because the more problems that are reported the more the issue stands out for change. For the MTA, this letter is from a concerned citizen that appreciates the good that you’ve done for locals and tourists that are here to come. Problems will dissolve the more people involve themselves with the intentions of dismantling the reasons one at a time. Safety is a principle for the millions of people that are out there.

Work Cited

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/20/us/nyc-five-subway-stabbings/index.html