Question 7

The moment Sal walks through the “Denver colored section, wishing I were a Negro”, can mean that he feels that people of color have it easier than non colored people.  Sal also mentions “feeling that the best that the white world had offered was not ecstasy for me…” At this moment Sal feels like he is missing out on something that colored people are able to have and he is being deprived of and he wants to be part of. However at the time this story takes place the segregation between white and colored people was extreme. The living conditions, the stability, their way of life was completely two different worlds. Which Sal realizes that he wishes to be part of in some way because he feels that in the world he is part of isn’t fullfilling enough for him.

This entry was posted in Blog Post 3. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Question 7

1. Jenny Phan says:

I agree with you. I feel, Sal is stuck in the middle of “yin and yang” because he wants to have a taste between both sides, however he can’t because of segregation. Because of that, he doesn’t feel fulfill in his life without having a taste of it.

2. Shashe says:

I agree that Sal thinks that he is missing out on something. I think because he is on the outside looking in he doesn’t see that the grass isn’t always greener on the other side. Like you said he doesn’t realize the very apparent segregation laws still in effect, and I think that he wants the “ecstasy”; a more exciting life.

3. Anwar says:

I also agree with you, but Sal wishing he was a Negro was very interesting, you guys pointed out that this was during the segregation period and everyone knows that African Americans were not treated equally so why he would want this makes me question his innocence on the matter.

4. Sonny Liu says:

Although Sal may be unaware he probably has not been offered everything the white man’s world has to offered which is why he feels that what he has/isn’t aware of what he has – or yet to have – isn’t much of a joy. History shows that the white people had it significantly easier than people of color especially during the times of segregation. For Sal to even wish he was a negro, to me, is rather extreme.