Question 5

There are a couple of factors, I think, that contributed to the race of the characters and why David was written as Caucasian. The most significant factor I think was the time in which Baldwin wrote Giovanni’s Room. In 1956, racism and homophobia were much more prevalent in the United States and would never allow him to be seen and credited simply as a writer. I think using exclusively white characters not only allows him to break away from the label as a black writer only confronting African-American experiences but also allows him perhaps to more easily write about his own personal struggles and conflicts while hiding behind the facade of another race. I don’t believe the race of the characters was significant for the story itself, but for the story behind Baldwin writing Giovanni’s Room.

About brianhart

Creative
This entry was posted in Blog Post 1. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Question 5

1. Anwar says:

In the beginning of the novel I has assumed that David was an african american but after thoroughly reading we discover hes Caucasian and I believe you have a point when you mentioned the author hiding behind another race to show us his struggle. For all we know everything could have been the opposite with Joey being white and David being african american.

2. Nice point, Brian. I think Baldwin must have been making a strategic choice with David’s race. And, of course, the notion of race is complicated even more when placed in conversation with nationality. How do we read Giovanni’s race, as a Southern Italian? Perhaps Baldwin is attempting to denaturalize race in order to raise questions about social location.