BP Post 1 – Gabriel Aguilar

The first essay I read, entitled “American Science Fiction and the Other” describes a lack of “person” within the characters of Science Fiction. That is to say that the general populous, the royal we, do not act with agency in most cases of the genre. Le Guin goes on to talk about the “other” within science fiction, highlighting all those who do not fit within the normal gender or societal roles, at least in accordance with previous works of science fiction. Le Guinn believes that we should be striving towards something new and fresh within science fiction, thinking of the future instead of reverting to the past. I’ve read and absorbed a few pieces that counteract this argument, however, they are all relatively recent and seem to be pushing the same agenda. An agenda that, to be frank, I agree with. Now that I have come to learn of the tropes minorities, or “aliens” fall under within the genre I will be looking more into the agency of the people, who should be the lifeblood of the culture of these up until recent stagnant worlds.

In the second essay, ” What is Science Fiction?” we are introduced to the genre’s key factors. These being, its extrapolative nature, the predictions it is based upon, the conception of higher level ideas, and the waning of impacts of morality struggles as a consequence. Le Guinn goes on to talk about what these factors in science fiction are often based upon, seemingly, according to them, it’s deceit. The act of creation is a direct target for much of this essay, and while it is true that creation is an act of hubris, and perhaps deceit in many instances, it seems to me like a weak argument at least to follow wholeheartedly. In my perception of the piece however, these arguments are not the true belief of the author and instead what much of this essay is, an expression of wit, exemplifying themselves as the hubris-infused, burdened artist that they perceive themselves to me. I’ve learned a lot from this essay, mostly, that the deceit of creation is natural when creating works of writing. The author is not to be trusted, as they make what can not be said in words out of words. In the future this will allow me to further process art in my own way, using the perception of my truth within my imagination.

5 Responses to BP Post 1 – Gabriel Aguilar

1. Very interesting interpretation, and well written!

2. isaiah2099 says:

I appreciate their personal thoughts based on the two passages in working towards what is to be a focus in the future

3. JoshuaC says:

This was a very in-depth post, you brought up very interesting points that I would not stop to think about when I first read the readings.

4. Nice perspective on the science fiction genre. Can’t wait to read more unique things about it.

5. Nevaeh says:

Very well written and agree with your perspective on each essay.