Prof. Miller| ENG 1101 - OL62 | Fall 2020

Micro-Activity #5: Discussion Brainstorm!

The relationship that I have with education is juxtaposed by the two halves of me that have separate beliefs but both have my best interest in mind. On one hand I am well aware that education is a necessity to my success. On the other I want no parts in what the system has to offer me and just want to educate my self in ways outside of a school. I have mixed emotions about this due to the fact that my family has never really been deeply rooted in the education system but wants me to be. So from a young age I was always taught how important school was and it was my only priority. I had a great relationship with school and I genuinely enjoyed performing well, the gratitude was worth it. As I grew older and rolled around into high school I began to question I have this relationship with school and why I feel like it is necessary. I then started participating in extra circular activities that changed my views on education. When taking part in after school show production I learned so much about myself and who I wanted to be in life, something that I was not getting in my classes. None of what I was learning in class had pertained to my inner development. So at this point I really began questioning what mattered to me and what mattered to who I want to be.

1. Prof. Suzanne Miller

Kayla,

This is a fascinating brainstorm! You already have the ingredients for a strong essay: you have a specific story to tell & an overarching theme to communicate. You may already be writing your rough draft at this point, but read below for some things to think about including… (or if you have not started, or you are stuck, here are some ideas to consider).

1.) You’ve got a built -in specific story with which to pull in your reader– that of being in a school production– consider starting your essay by painting in details of what this show entailed & then explore your theme (this powerful idea of containing two pieces, two separate beliefs within yourself).
    2.) The theme you are hitting on is this idea of “contradictions”– we all contain them! And yet we are all expected to be ONE thing (the “straight A student” or the “drop-out” etc.). When, in reality, a human being is far more complicated than a simple label can indicate. So this theme is excellent. If you want to read a bit about contradictions & perhaps include a powerful quote, check out Walt Whitman’s poem (“Song of Myself” Stanza 51 — where he talks about contradicting himself). Whitman was a famous American poet (if you haven’t read his poetry) from the 19th century. He was pretty wild & lived in Brooklyn. Here is a link…
    https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/45477/song-of-myself-1892-version