Prof. Miller| ENG 1101 - OL62 | Fall 2020

Discussion: UNIT ONE Guidelines

•  Discussion Question: Review Unit 1: Education Narrative guidelines and comment on the following (approx. 100 words): What question or questions appeal to you? What are some observations you have or stories you might tell about your education journey (brainstorm a list)? In your response, you should also include any questions you have about the Unit 1: Education Narrative guidelines.

1. Krista Hospedales

The questions and such that appeal to me are, if I feel that the current way we are educating children fully prepares them for the needs of the 21st century? What is the role of a teacher really to do? How can a learning environment be more a fun space for someone to learn in? Can there be new methods of testing a student’s means of effective learning or knowledge obtained? Is what we are learning in school helpful to the outside world to better help those struggling thus far? Some observations and/or stories I can tell about my educational journey would be that it has been easy for me to obtain the information a teacher provides to me either through experience or through a lecture. I tend to be a very hand on learner, I learn through the process of seeing things happen in front of me as well. Based on my look at the Unit 1: Education Narrative Guidelines I wonder how this project will be dealt out to students? What means of information may we also incorporate in it? And how long will we have to complete it?

• Prof. Suzanne Miller

Hi Krista,

Great questions! You will see that today I have put out more info. about the Unit I: Education Narrative. Go ahead & do the brainstorm exercise & sign up for a video conference with me via the google link that I made available both in my email & in the Week 5 Work.

The key to this project (and most compelling writing) is to home in on a very specific detail from your experience and describe it. For example, can you think of a “hands-on” project during elementary or middle or high school that really sticks with you? What was it? Can you describe it in detail? If these questions that I’ve just asked appeal to you, use them to start the brainstorming activity.

2. Krista Hospedales

3. Lorena Garcia

The questions that catch my interest are questions one and four just because those questions are somethign that can be answered throughly and have a story behind them to support and illustrate something. With question 1 , the stories that follow up with them would be the person who influenced me to pursue a career within the medical field and that person played an important role for a couple years. With the 4th question I am very interested in philosophy and after reading Plato’s book it does make me question as to what is education and how can it be used on people. His words were very intruguing to me and in a way it connects to the education that we have going on today where there are only a few things that are being said to hide gruesome things going on. Based on the questions the only thing that I am wondering is how will long will be have to complete the paper and can you give us feedback as we are completing the assignment?

• Prof. Suzanne Miller

Hi Lorena,

This is a good reflection on the assignment. We will talk specifically about material for your paper in our small groups. And, yes, you will have a chance to do a draft before turning in the final draft.

4. Sachin Smith

The questions that appeal to me are, How do parents with toddlers cope sending them to school knowing at that age they touch everything without knowing the consequences? What is the role of a teachers, to teach or worry about kids that aren’t there’s? How can a learning environment be more a fun for kids with a low attention span? Is virtual learning really the way although its safer. Is what we are learning in school helpful to the outside world to better help societies new leaders? Some observations a could tell about my educational journey would be that it has been a decent challenge for me based on the topic, teachers personality or the subject. I am a visual learner because because it takes images or demonstrations for me to understand a topic that confuses me at first. Based on my look at the Unit 1: Education Narrative Guidelines I wonder how this project will be dealt out to the other students, and how long will we have to complete ?
    P.S sorry for turning in the work so late. I couldn’t get WebWork to work

5. Sachin Smith

6. Sachin Smith

7. Sabah Minhaj

The questions that appeal to my mind are, why education is very important in every person’s life? Why do people need education in their life? Does education prepare everyone to work independently? Does education encourage people to fight for themselves? Does education help us to overcome our failure and move on our life? Does it bring us happiness and success? How can education impact our life? Is education easy for every person’s life? Some observations or stories I might tell about my education journey is quite good. My teachers were always helping me whenever I was in trouble and encouraged me to do better and overcome my fear and failure. Those things help me to succeed in my life. In Unit-1: Education Narrative, do we follow any rules or rubric when we write unit 1 assignment? Is this assignment similar to any essay like a diagnostic essay or another thing? Do we have to include introduction and conclusion in this assignment?