Project #2: Squares and Graphic Expression
Using four black squares all the same size, create a graphic image to express the meaning of each of the following 6 words:
For each word:
– Prepare by cutting squares in groups of 4 or more. Cut groups of 3/8″, 1/2″, 3/4″ , 1″ squares; you may need bigger ones (1 1/4″, 1 1/8″ or even 1 3/4″ for determining
the final design)
– Map the groupings in each square on the handout sheet. You must have 6 ideas per word.
– Lay a tracing paper on top (9 x 12) and trace all 6 ideas for the one word onto the
tracing paper. Be sure to include the one word you are working with (circle it and trace it).
– Use only 4 squares of the same size per frame.
– For the final work, you may have a different size set of 4 squares in each frame.
For each of the words you will have:
6 variations for one word on tracing paper.
You will be selecting and completing the best one to finalize the project on a larger square.
see sidebar for project 2.
for the lettering:
VERY IMPORTANT TO FOLLOW DIRECTIONS AND TO CRAFT YOUR FINISHED WORK WELL.
Measure according to directions.
Neatly print the word represented in the center underneath its unit in capital letters.
Note: use triangles and rulers. Must be well measured, and neatly executed. It will count!