Categories
Discussions Intro

Post of How to read like a writer

To read like a writer is a new word for me. I always use the protagonist’s perspective to read stories. It makes me understand the background, character relationships and plot trend easily. But by this way I easily fall into the personal thoughts of the protagonist, sometimes this is different from what the author wants to express. I can’t learn the author’s writing skills and expressions also. After read “How to Read Like a Writer” by Mike Bunn, I realize that if I read like a writer, to read the article from the perspective of a bystander, I would identify some of the choice of the author made and maybe that’s what I want but didn’t figure it out. When the character chooses what to do or say, I will think about how this will affect the subsequent plot. Purposeful reading makes it easier for me to learn the author’s writing skills and understand his premeditated plot of the story and his ideas that he hopes to express through the story. If you want to use reading to improve your writing skills, I think to “Read Like a Writer” is important, Reading with a critical eye can improve your writing.