Meet the pros

20160503_135346

Dustin Cohen is a photographer and  film marker. Dustin came to New York in the mid 2000s possible in the early 2000s from the west coast i believe from santa barbara. Dustin started as an intern at Rolling Stone magazine. After working many hours for little to no pay Dustin set out on his own as a freelancer. Dustin worked long hours building his portfolio and clientele. Dustin worked all day as a photographer and all night as a bartender for many years. Dustin drive and ambition can not be denied. Dustin took extra classes after graduating college. He watched online tutorials. Dustin sought out his own subject matters by way of Myspace as a lot of his early work consisted of musicians. Dustin didn’t wait for opportunity he created it. Dustin has not only taken on photography but film making. Dustin has made a few short documentaries, with unconventional subject matters that have a heart warming effect to them. These personal projects have lead to Dustin building his clientele. Dustin has been asked to film some short documentaries for major companies. Pardon the brief bio as it might have some minor discrepancy particular on Dustin arrival to the Big apple as I am writing this post a week or two after I attended the seminar. City tech professor Eli Neugeboren can confirm my attendance. Never the less what I took from it was always keep working create as much as you can. Don’t wait for opportunity. Be fearless. Dustin spoke about trying to get his foot in the door. He would email companies or people who he admired and wanted to learn from for a chance to work for them in exchange to be taught by them. He did state that it didn’t work offend due to not picking his words wisely and not having the know how. But offering janitorial services or getting coffee can go a long way. I admire his passion. He made mentioned to the long slow grind not wanting to get out of bed at times but that the hustle got him over the hump. Those words put things in perspective for me. The long road I have ahead of me the struggle i will go through the grind i have to stay on. At the moment the struggle and grind are present in my life as it is but that passion, drive, and hustle will get me over. Don’t wait for it to happen make it happen. Always create. Always learn never stop learning, even if you have to teach yourself.

About Rafael Lopez

I live to create. My imagination takes me to different mindsets, to different universes, to different dimensions. I remain grounded in reality. A reality where I seek to break my limits through education. I am on the road to becoming a graphic designer. I'm looking to better my creative expression any chance i get. Gaining inspiration through everyday life. Through my experiences and the experiences of others. I hope to become a creative director in the comic book industry or any medium that allows me to tell a narrative of my own creation. I can also see myself in the advertisement industry. As I take this journey into the unknown one thing is for sure I will work hard to break the walls down of my limits