Professor Kate Poirier | D052 | Fall 2022

OpenLab assignment: community agreement

Due on the OpenLab by 11:59pm on Wednesday, September 6.

Our class’s community agreement is available here.

Submit a comment on this post answering the following questions

1. Pick out three words that jumped out at you—which words did you find most meaningful? Why?
  2. Which part of the class community agreement do you think is most important? Why?
  3. Suggest one more sentence that could be added to the agreement or that could replace one of the sentences in the agreement.
  4. Add any other questions or comments about the community agreement that you have.
  5. Read your classmates’ comments. Reply to at least one comment with your thoughts.

1. Qing Chen(Charlotte)

Joyful, and effort, critical. For me the most meaningful word is joyful, I know all my classmates are hard-working people, and we will work hard together and share studying information with each other. I am not worrying about effort and critical. I hope all my classmates can be happy they can feel joyful in mat3050 class. I kind of need to feel happy to work better.
    I think the class agreement is perfect. I will do the same thing from the agreement.

2. Jason Chen

Three words that I paid mind to were effort, challenged, and active. Out of the three, effort holds the most meaning for me though I can’t explain why exactly. As for which part of the agreement I think is most important, I believe once again, effort as we’re trying to learn something from taking on this class as an experience. I would have to say I would replace the last line of the agreement (or at least change some words), personally feeling as if the wording there didn’t exactly feel right.

3. anik

what are the most important elements in order to build up a community where everyone can work with each other for a long period of time? what role community agreements can play additionally to ensure that?

4. Angie

Three words that jumped out to me are empowering, challenged and supported. Mostly because it demonstrates the potential of the environment, you will come across difficult tasks but there will be people to offer a helping hand. Everyday you will overcome challenges which will make you feel proud of how you deal with your learning. I believe the most important part is “ … build that rich experience together by devoting our strongest available effort to this class” because it  deals with persistence and motivation. We are all working as a team and it is vital to know it requires perseverance. I think something that could be added is a part that speaks about how every learning day can look different, and mistakes are parts of the learning process.

5. Irina Chernyavskiy

Three words that really stood out to me were joyful, meaningful and empowering. For me at least some classes just seem to blend together into one never ending series of tasks that are almost essentially the same things except with slightly different wording. Out of these three empowering is the most important goal to have especially for any course with proofs. I would hope that both me and classmates can gain enough knowledge and practice to write proofs more freely in this course. I would not change anything for the community agreement I think it says what needs to be there.