Professor Kate Poirier | D052 | Fall 2022

Homework 1

Due Monday, September 12

Choose 5 of the following 9 questions to answer.

1. Venema page 4 #0.3.1
  2. Venema page 4 #0.3.2
  3. Venema page 4 #0.3.3
  4. Kiselev 1 1.1 page 14 #25 (explain how you found each of these angle measures)
  5. Kiselev 1 1.1 page 14 #26 (explain how you found each of these angle measures)
  6. Write a careful proof of the exterior angle theorem (we will draw a picture of the proof in class but it won’t be a complete proof).
  7. The measure of the complement of an angle is five times the measure of the angle. Find the measure of the given angle.
  8. Find the measure of an angle whose measure is 40° more than the measure of its supplement.
  9. Given that straight lines $\overline{AB}$ and $\overline{CD}$ intersect at a point $E$, that $\angle BEC$ has measure 20° greater than 5 times a fixed quantity, and that $\angle AED$ has measure 60° greater than the same quantity: find (a) the unknown fixed quantity, (b) the measure of $\angle BEC$, and (c) the measure of $\angle CEA$.
    • There’s actually something wrong with the previous problem as written: you could get two different answers depending on how you draw your diagram. Draw your diagram in two different ways to demonstrate this problem and explain in words what the problem is. How would you fix the problem so that there is only one answer? (I’ll explain in class why I’m assigning you this problem!)

How did this homework set go for you? Answer the following questions in a few sentences:

• About how long did it take you to complete the homework?
  • What was the easiest part for you? What was the hardest part?
  • Did you work with anyone else from the class?
  • Which outside resources did you use?

1. Qing Chen(Charlotte)

I work in many days for homework. The easiest part for me is to draw a graph, the hardest part is the important word in the question and writing down the poof. I work alone. I use google and my note.

2. Jason Chen

This homework set was not extremely difficult but starting off the semester not noticing that I was missing a textbook made things a bit annoying to organize. While the assignment did not take long to do, I ended up working on it over multiple days (mainly due to procrastination), having done the questions I believe were easiest first before finishing the fifth and last question. I worked alone on the assignment and didn’t use much outside resources besides google search and docs.

3. anik

This howmework took me about 1 hour to finish and most of the parts were fairly easy until I had to use a few different books to answer some of those questions. But overall it was quite simple. I solve all these 5 problems without getting help from anyone.

4. Angie

This homework took me a little less than an hour and a half to complete. The easiest part for me was finding out how much the angles measure, and the hardest part was writing the proofs. I worked on the homework alone , and used my notes for help .