Prof. Jessica Penner | OL10 | Spring 2021

Yves Kabore, Jones’ Critique

It was interesting reading “The First Day” By Edward P. Jones. The writer seems very open and shares a lot of details almost like a thorough description of each of the belongings.
the story is well developed and the ideas and statements have clear explanation giving the reader an almost visual perspective of the scenes and this makes the story even more interesting. The writer has a good memory as she remembered very clearly about most of what she wrote about like the Dixie peach hair grease, her shoes, feelings and emotions, and expressed them very thoroughly. So, overall it was a great story from which I learned how to develop and stretch and this can be helpful while writing in general.

1. sumayah

yes, I believe description is literally key when it comes to writing stories. Because with description it allows the reader to better understand where they’re coming from.

2. Ariel Itshaik

I agree that the story is well developed and gives the reader a great visual of the actual scenes as on page 228, the author describes in detail the setting of the classroom and how the papers are scattered. This gave me a clear image of the actual classroom.

3. Eamon Bolger

I definitely agree that the way Jones explains this story makes it seem as if this is a very fond memory. While I agree that her memory is very good to tell the story in such descriptiveness I believe she is very fond of this memory which is why she remembers it so well

4. NadreaPT

I agree with Yves because the author is very open and descriptive with us about the memory of the little girl’s first day of school. The author doesn’t leave out any details, we have a clear understanding of what her first day of school was like that.