By 11:59 PM on Tuesday, April 6, 2021, do the following…

READ/RESPOND:

WRITE:

• Homework: A critique of Coates’ work. What did you enjoy? What questions/suggestions do you have for the author? Title it Full Name, Coates’ Critique, and post it under Discussions.
  • Comment on at least four of your classmates’ critiques of Coates’ work. With what do you agree or disagree? Be specific! (“I agree with X’s thoughts on X” is not specific. “I agree with X because of X” is specific.)
  • If you haven’t posted Journal #5, make sure you do so by 11:59 tonight! A reminder of what Journal Assignment 5 is about: Write about a moment from your past that changed you. A few prompts to get you going (if you’re needing some):
    • Write about a significant move in your life, either from another country or just a borough/neighborhood.
    • Write about a friendship lost or gained.
    • Write about a decision you made that your family disagreed with.
    • Write about the first time you felt alone in the world–and how that made you view the world and yourself.
  • Post it under Journals, and title it Full Name, Journal 5.

Thursday, April 8, 2021

WRITING DAY:

• We won’t be having an official class on Thursday, but that doesn’t mean you don’t have things to do! First…
  • Quick Chat with the Prof: I’ve emailed you a schedule for Thursday. See when you’re scheduled to meet with me and a few of your classmates (look for your name and where the X is located) for an informal discussion of the following questions:
    • What have you enjoyed the most about this class so far?
    • What have you enjoyed the least (be honest)?
    • Have you been able to accomplish some of the things you wanted to learn/practice this semester?
    • How can I help you to accomplish more of your goals?
  • If you’d like to have a more private conversation, come to my office hour, which is 11:30 to 12:30 PM on Thursday. (This is the only way you’ll get participation points for this day–and be counted for attendance, BTW, so please attend your scheduled time or visit during my office hour!)
  • When you’re not meeting with me, spend this time revise your short story. The final draft must be titled Full Name, Short Story 1 (Revised) under Short Stories by 11:59 PM on April 8, 2021.
  • Then, begin writing a NEW story in any POV you like (First Person or Third Person), but focus on the setting and, by changing the setting, you’re probably refocusing the contextTake your story from Journal 5, fictionalize it by putting it in a totally different setting. Some ideas from Creative Writing Now:

Write a story that takes place…

1. in a tattoo parlor
  2. at the zoo at night
  3. in an abandoned hospital
  4. in a submarine
  5. in a magnet factory
  6. in the vault of a bank
  7. in a bridal shop
  8. in the kitchen of Buckingham Palace
  9. on the edge of a cliff
  10. entirely in the dark
  • You aren’t required to use one of these settings, of course, but hopefully you see what I’m wanting you to focus on!
  • First draft for your Cohort is Tuesday, April 13, 2021!