Prof. Jessica Penner | OL10 | Spring 2021

Yasmine Blair, Jones critique

I enjoyed that Jones writing was very descriptive it gave me a sense of nostalgia when the narrator was describing the little girl’s clothing and hair. It reminded me of myself during that age I was almost the exact same at that age going to school. My mother would part my hair neatly using hair grease and then put it in twists or plaits. She would also either put bubbles or clips at the ends of my hair. The outfit of the little girl reminded me of my school uniform that was checkered and the leather shoes I’d also wear. It was funny reading that part because it made me picture myself. When the little girl and her mother were walking to school and she stated that she didn’t see anyone she knew even though she had a lot of friends it gave off the impression that either people didn’t want to be around her mother or they were all already at school. The exchange of conversation between the mother and the teacher at Seaton was interesting when the narrator stated “ The higher up on the scale of respectability a person is- and teachers are rather high up in her eyes- the less she is liable to let them push her around.” It tells us that her mother may not have a good relationship with people she considers has higher status especially teachers. Later we find out that she can’t read or write which sheds more light as to why she isn’t fond of teachers maybe because she was never exposed to that experience of being taught in school. Also the comparison of schools seems like maybe her mother felt Seaton was a school she wanted her daughter to be accepted in because maybe that’s where she wanted attend when she was younger. I think the ashamed feeling that the narrator eventually gets for her mother that is mentioned in the beginning is probably due to her lack of knowledge it may embarrass her during her trials of going to school and growing up. 

1. sumayah

I found it very interesting as to why her mother never liked teachers, even from the way she spoke in the story when she keeps saying ” will you help me or what” somewhere along the lines, then we later on understand why she spoke this way.

2. Rakib Hassan

I also imagined my first day of school as well when reading the text. The uniforms and the teachers being a little off according to my mother.

3. NadreaPT

I agree with Yasmine’s because Jones work was really descriptive. It did bring us back to the moment of our first day of school. Same, I remember when my mom use to do my hair the night before school or my mom brushing my forehead, my neck and my ears lol.