Prof. Jessica Penner | OL10 | Spring 2021

Sumayah Ayed, Critique of Gurba’s work

To be honest, this was one of the best readings I have ever been assigned to, because as i read through her story I felt like I could totally relate to what she was trying to convey. When she stated  Their heads look ready to explode and I can tell they’re thinking, “In Mexico, there are PUBLICISTS?!” I wryly grin at these fulanos and let my smile speak on my behalf. It answers, “Yes, bitch, in México, there are things to publicize such as our own fucking opinions about YOU.” This statement was so relatable to me because when I tell people that we drive cars not on camels in the middle east they would be in such a shock, they were so used to being told that the middle east is all sand and camels and how we live in tents. It saddens me this is what they try to teach kids in America about countries like Mexico or Egypt that’s located in the middle east.

I really enjoyed her tone of voice throughout her whole story, she is a straight-up person who’s not afraid to speak her own mind especially when it comes to her own country or culture. It takes so much confidence to speak up, I know people who don’t speak up for their own kind, they like to stay quiet because they are too embarrassed from where they originated. Although I’m very curious why did you not confront the girl on the phone, you explained how it pissed you off when she stated “ I want to give these people a chance”.

1. Yasmine

I agree that the line Sumayah pointed out was an important one, it shows how people sometimes think in a judgmental manner because they are so used to just listening to stereotypes instead of really trying to learn about a certain place and its people.

2. Zaire Lancaster

I agree with Sumayah and believe she made great points specifically referencing those embarrassed or afraid to represent or embrace their culture. Many believe that just because they are different or have less, they aren’t worth as much as others who are in the same place. I agree with her point of view on this occurrence called “imposter syndrome”, people from varying backgrounds not feeling good enough even though they worked hard and deserve their positions.